This is an amazing cake roll and perfect for all winter holidays. Soft chocolate cake roll filled with light and fluffy frosting with folded mini marshmallows, drizzled with chocolate syrup and topped with more marshmallows. Perfect cake to have with a mug of hot cocoa.
It’s Christmas Eve, eve!
I gotta tell ya, I like Christmas Eve so much better than Christmas day. Christmas Day is just so hectic with all the cooking and crowds of people that you see all day. By the end of the day I’m exhausted and not even sure what happened. It’s kind of like Thanksgiving but with blinking lights, presents and Santa. But Christmas Eve is so calm and quiet. Just a few family members sitting around the tree, quietly sipping something warm and soothing, talking, watching movies or playing board games. I usually stay up pretty late after kids go to sleep. I like sitting in a dark, next to a lit Christmas tree and just watching a nice movie, while drinking hot cocoa. I like the peace of Christmas Eve.
I think I have a reputation now. This Hot Chocolate Cake Roll is a cake that I made for a close friend to take home with her to her family. She is going through some hard times and when I asked if there was anything I could do, I was surprised to hear, “Well, if you are baking something…” Not what I expected to hear at all but if that helps, then it’s done! She is a big fan of chocolate like me, so I knew immediately that it would have to be a chocolate cake. I decided to make it Hot Chocolate themed because it can be so comforting. Can’t wait to hear how her family liked the cake.
Little man and I sure loved it. Best part about making cake for someone else is getting the scraps without having this deliciously tempting cake sitting in the fridge, calling your name. After rolling the cake, I had to make it look even, so I cut off small slices off of each end. I don’t think I’ve seen my little guy inhale a cake faster than that before. It really was so good and tasted just like hot cocoa!
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Unsweetened baking cocoa and powder sugar for rolling the cake
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ⅓ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup marshmallow fluff
- 1½ cups Cool Whip (in tub not can)
- 1½ cups mini marshmallows
- Chocolate syrup
- Mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375 and line 17x11x1 pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking oil spray (make sure to get the sides too).
- Beat eggs with electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes until thick and light yellow.
- Slowly beat in granulated sugar.
- Lower speed to low and add water and vanilla extract.
- Still on low, slowly add flour, ¼ cup cocoa, the baking powder and salt. Beat just until batter is smooth.
- Pour into pan and spread evenly. Bake for 7-8 minutes and do a toothpick test. Run a spatula around edges of the pan to loosen cake.
- Generously sprinkle a clean kitchen towel with cocoa and powder sugar. Turn the cake pan upside down onto the towel. Carefully remove parchment paper. Trim off crusty edges if necessary.
- While the cake is still hot, gently roll cake with the towel from narrow end (don't make it too tight and don't press.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, make frosting: Beat cream cheese with sugar on medium-high for about 2 minutes, until light and smooth. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl and add marshmallow fluff. Beat until combined. On low speed, beat in Cool Whip just until combined. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl and add marshmallows. Fold them in with a spatula until all incorporated.
- Unroll cake carefully. Carefully, spread frosting all over the cake, leaving about an inch and a half one of the short ends.
- Carefully roll the cake back up (starting with the side that has frosting) and place cake on the serving dish seam down.
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup and top off with some mini marshmallows.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve!
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Christmas Vanilla Cake Roll from Roxana’s Homebaking
Carrot Cake Roll from Crazy For Crust
Tiramisu Cake Roll from Diethood
Chocolate Peppermint Cake Roll from Very Culinary
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Recipes From Me: