Delicious dinner salad packed with classic BLT flavor combination and addition of juicy shrimp and creamy avocado. This shrimp salad is served with a light Buttermilk Ranch dressing.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Do you have a category of food that you eat the most? For me, it’s salads, hands down.
Ever since I found out that I had an extreme sensitivity to gluten, I’ve learned to love salads like nothing else. Since number one pitfall for people who have to turn to gluten free food is overloading on rice and potatoes, I decided to turn mostly to salads. (Not to say that I don’t enjoy an occasional potato or rice dish, because I very much do.)
My husband and son are lucky to not have the gluten sensitivity or Celiac’s, so I often end up cooking separately for myself. Making a quick and delicious salad is a much better deal than cooking a whole separate meal. You can get quite creative with salads by loading them with proteins, nuts, fruit, and your favorite veggies. Can’t forget about dozens of dressing options you can play with too.
This shrimp BLTA salad is one of my absolute favorites. It’s loaded with great ingredients, like crispy bacon, juicy tomatoes, avocado, and best paired with a ranch dressing. Homemade buttermilk ranch dressing is my family’s absolute favorite, so I’ve found a way to lighten it a bit without compromising the taste. Makes me feel a little better about smothering my salad with it or dipping everything in sight into it.
Just looking at these photos, I want to run to the kitchen and make another one (and another one, and another one). It’s a simple and classic BLT flavor combination but the result will keep you making it over and over again.
- ½ lb shrimp
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Oil for cooking shrimp
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 8 slices of crispy, cooked bacon
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh minced parsley
- Light Buttermilk Ranch:
- ½ cup of lightsour cream
- 1 Tbsp mayo (use light if you have it)
- ⅓ cup 1% buttermilk
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh dill weed
- ½ Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Fresh cracked peppercorn
- For the dressing: combine all the ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk until completely incorporated. Taste to make sure you have enough salt and peppercorn. Set aside.
- Peel, de-vein, and rinse shrimp. Mix shrimp with some salt, pepper, and lemon juice in a bowl and let it sit while preheating a cooking pan.
- Preheat a cooking pan with about a tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, sear shrimp until pink and opaque on both sides. Take out and set aside.
- Chop romaine lettuce and divide it among two salad bowls.
- Slice tomatoes, chop crispy bacon strips, peel and slice avocado, and divide everything among the two salads.
- Top salads off with cooked shrimp and sprinkle some fresh parsley over the top.
- Serve right away with light ranch dressing.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
Some More Recipes From Me: