These Blueberry Key Lime Cupcakes are pure heaven! Soft, delicious cupcakes made with key lime zest for a beautiful citrus flavor and topped with blueberry cream cheese frosting that’s made with fresh blueberry syrup.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Seriously, I hear angels sing when I look at these cupcakes. But when I take a bite, that’s where they hit the high note!
Key lime and fresh blueberry flavors are so nice together and just perfect for spring. I love making blueberry muffins with an addition of fresh key limes. But it’s not just blueberries that lime compliments, try adding it to strawberry, raspberry and of course, coconut treats.
Any spring events you have coming up, definitely whip up some of these cupcakes. Spring break, Easter, Mother’s Day, all perfect reasons to treat
yourself your family to a sweet delight.
After making these awesometastic (yea, I said it) cupcakes, I was kicking myself. It was quite painful though because I had just spent an afternoon working on landscaping and every muscle in my body hurt. But I was still kicking myself because I know better. I know what my favorite and best cupcake recipe is and yet, there are still some crazy times when I insist on using different recipes.
You’re probably lost right now, but I’m talking about one recipe in particular. I’m talking about my Maple Bacon Cupcakes and a recipe that has been very finicky. If you saw my post about Maple Bacon Cupcakes, you probably noticed that quite a few people had trouble with that recipe, so consequently, I took off the recipe until I could re-make them. I did re-make those cupcakes in two versions, an easy box mix version and a homemade version.
So the reason for the self-inflicted butt kicking is the fact that this is my favorite cupcake recipe and yet, I tried using another that just doesn’t seem to deliver as consistently. In my personal experience, cupcakes made with butter just never turn out as good as these. There is something about the soft, whipped egg whites with sugar and oil beaten into them, that created these soft, fluffy, round-topped cupcakes. It never fails me and I really should stop trying to use the butter recipes. Moral of this
slightly long story is that these cupcakes hit it right out of the park!
Make sure to subscribe for free e-mail newsletter and follow me through social media channels to keep up with the recipes!
Blueberry Key Lime Cupcakes
- 4 egg whites room temperature
- 1 cup of white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- Zest of 3 key limes
- Blueberry Sauce:
- 1/2 pint blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup of butter room temperature
- 2 Tbsp blueberry sauce
- 1½ cup powder sugar
- Blueberry Sauce:
- Add blueberries into a small sauce pot, heating over medium heat.
- Add lemon juice and sugar. Stir well.
- Cover (leaving a crack for the steam to escape) and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring often. (Watch it closely, it may over-run.)
- Strain off some juice (about 3 Tbsp) for topping the cupcakes and puree the rest in a blender.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder together and set aside.
- Make sure your other ingredients are ready.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer (use paddle attachment), beat egg whites for a few seconds and slowly start pouring in sugar. Beat for 3-4 minutes, until white and fluffy.
- Start pouring in oil, slowly, as the eggs are still beating on medium-high.
- Add vanilla and lower the speed to low.
- Alternating, add flour mixture and buttermilk in two parts. Mix until just combined.
- Add key lime zest. Make sure to scrape sides and bottom of the bowl and mix until all incorporated.
- Divide batter among the cupcake cups, filling them about 2/3 of the day.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting!
- Beat butter and cream cheese together, on medium-high speed, until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Lower the speed to low and beat in powder sugar and blueberry sauce.
- Turn up the speed back to medium-high and beat for about 3-4 minutes, until the frosting is light, smooth and fluffy.
- Frost the cupcakes and drizzle blueberry sauce that you've set aside on each cupcake.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Blueberry Lime Cupcakes from Cake Whiz
Key Lime Cupcakes from Blahnik Baker
Coconut Lime Cupcakes from Dessert Now, Dinner Later
Raspberry Lemon Cupcakes from Giraffes Can Bake
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or any other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!