Why do the kids get to have all the fun food?? I think that adults should have some fun and delicious food as well. Don’t you agree? For that reason, I created this fabulous “grown up” BBQ chicken grilled cheese! My husband and I love grilled cheese as much as any kid, but we also enjoy an array of flavors, therefore, I came up with this flavorful adult version of grilled cheese.
Me: “Honey, I’m going to make some grown up grilled cheeses for us, for lunch!”
Him: “Umm, grown up grilled cheese?”
Me: “Yes, you know, an adult version of a grilled cheese.”
Him: “Adult version? Are you going to inject it with vodka?”
Me (…after I was done rolling on the floor laughing): “Noooo, I’m going to make and awesome grilled cheese but with ingredients that kids are usually to picky to eat, so it’s for grown ups!”
Him: “Oooooh, good, ‘coz I don’t think vodka would be very good in grilled cheese.”
I knew that I wanted to used smoked white cheddar cheese and BBQ chicken for this sandwich but I wasn’t sure what else to include. I called hubby and asked him what he usually associated with BBQ chicken and he told me slaw, of course. Well, I already made BBQ Chicken Sliders with slaw and I wanted to try something different. Then, he brought up HAYSTACK! Of course!! Duh! Haystack would be perfect!
If you don’t know what a haystack is, it’s thinly sliced fried onion straws! It is possibly the best garnish and topper for burgers and most all sandwiches. I learned an awesome way of making the haystack while working at Bennigans, many moons ago. I will share the haystack recipe with you first. It’s really, very easy!
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1.5 cups flour
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 3 cups oil for frying
- Slice the onion in half, width-wise. Then, slice each half very thinly to form half-rings.
- Submerge sliced onion in the buttermilk and set aside for about 30 minutes.
- Mix four, salt and pepper in a large shallow bowl.
- Heat up oil in the medium sauce pot, over medium heat (or fryer). (The temperature should be about 350 but not higher.)
- Take the onion out of the buttermilk and shake off gently.
- Throw the onions into the flour, spread them out and toss in flour mixture.
- Fry coated onion straws until golden brown.
- Spread them out on a paper towel to soak the excess oil.
Now, we move onto the BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese. Since it was a quick lunch, I decided to use the Tyson BBQ Chicken tenders for this sandwich. I tried this chicken for the first time at our Superbowl party and it was such a hit with everyone, that I bought it a few times since then. While I was making the haystack, the chicken was cooking in the oven. Then just assemble the sandwich and enjoy the deliciousness!
- 4 slices of marble rye bread (or bread of choice)
- 8 oz sharp white cheddar cheese
- 4 BBQ chicken tenders (I use Tyson)
- Handful of Onion Haystack from above
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Canola oil for cooking
- Bake chicken tenders according to the package instructions. Cool enough to handle and slice them thinly.
- Preheat a large cooking pan over medium heat. Lower the heat to medium-low.
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with some canola oil. Place all 4 slices into the pan, oiled side down.
- Slice cheese thinly and evenly divide it among all 4 slices of bread.
- Divide sliced chicken tenders among two slices of bread.
- Top chicken tender slices with onion haystack.
- Once the cheese started to melt, cover the slice of bread that had chicken and haystack with the cheesy slice of bread. Press down lightly and cook until the cheese is all melted.
- Enjoy these grilled cheeses with a side of crispy Onion Haystack.
This was one AWESOME grown up grilled cheese! Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader, subscribe to emails of follow me through | Facebook| Twitter| Pinterest| so you don’t miss any more recipes!
You can also follow Tyson through Facebook and Twitter! Tyson will also be holding DEMOS of their product at your local WalMart stores this month. Make sure to check it out!
I will be sharing this recipe at the wonderful parties in my party tab + Weekend Potluck. Swing by and link up your own projects!
Remember to come back and link up to my party on Saturday!!
I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias® and Tyson. All the opinions and photographs are my own. #cbias #SocialFabric #MealsTogether