Sink your teeth into something truly satisfying when you enjoy this Apple Bacon Gouda Grilled Cheese! Applewood smoked bacon, smoked gouda cheese, and sweet honeycrisp apples are sandwiched between two pieces of sourdough bread and cooked to gooey perfection.
Apple Bacon Gouda Grilled Cheese
I love a good grilled cheese. I mean really, who can resist gooey, warm cheese sandwiched between two pieces of buttery bread?! With that being said, I like to take grilled cheese to the next level with recipes like this one. Applewood smoked gouda cheese is made even more delicious with Applewood smoked bacon, fresh honeycrisp apple slices, and crispy, buttery sourdough bread straight from the bakery.
The combination of flavors in this grilled cheese sandwich is what makes it so incredible. It’s a little salty, sweet, and savory in every single bite! It’s got a whole lot to love. Oh, and there’s another “s” adjective to add to that list as well – smokey! The applewood smoked bacon and applewood smoked gouda lend the most incredible smokey flavor to this sandwich that’s definitely noticeable, but not so overwhelming that you can’t enjoy the salty sweetness of it too.
As it goes with any good grilled cheese recipe, this unforgettably good sandwich is so simple and quick! You’ll be done making this easy lunch in about twenty minutes or less. Feel free to plate it with some potato chips, fresh fruit, or any other side dish you want to get a little creative with. If you want to make it super decadent, you can even dunk it in some leftover gravy from Thanksgiving…
Bread, bacon, cheese, apples, and a little butter – that’s all it takes to make the BEST grilled cheese sandwich! This is a budget-friendly lunch idea you’ll love making over and over again.
- Bread – I highly recommend getting your bread from the deli/bakery section of your grocery store. This is because you get the signature crusty outside and super soft inside. We like to use Italian loaf, sourdough, or just deli white bread. You can even request that they slice it for you! Many grocery stores have that option available.
- Bacon – You can always feel free to use your favorite bacon. However, we love applewood smoked bacon for this grilled cheese because of how well it compliments the gouda.
- Cheese – Apple smoked gouda is our go-to cheese for this sandwich recipe. It gives a lot of bold and smoky flavor that pairs so well with apple and bacon. If you wish, you can substitute sharp cheddar cheese or Gruyere. (Go for younger, softer Gruyere so it melts better.)
- Apple – Go with a sweet and juicy apple like honeycrisp! Tart or sour apples like granny smith will not give you the sweet balance to the cheese and bacon.
- Butter – Feel free to opt for unsalted butter instead if you’re looking for a low-sodium option.
Step by Step Instructions
You’ll love how quick and easy it is to make these grilled cheese sandwiches! Plus, you essentially do everything in one skillet, which means it’s an easy clean up as well.
Before you start assembling your sandwiches, go ahead and get your skillet ready!
Toss some salted butter in your skillet and let it melt over medium heat.
Assemble the layers.
Divide the cheese between two slices of bread. Layer with cooked bacon and fresh apple slices.
Cook the sandwich.
Cook each half of the sandwich in the buttered skillet until the cheese has just started to melt. Then, go ahead and put the two slices together to form the sandwich. This will help prevent the sandwich from falling apart.
Continue to flip and cook on each side until the cheese is fully melted and the outside is browned to your liking.
You can pair this simple sandwich with just about anything! If you’d like to keep things on the lighter side, do so with some fresh fruit or veggies. Feeling too hungry for that? Go for something heartier with one of these options:
And if you’re serving this sandwich on a warmer day but still want some more filling sides, here are a few great ideas to consider! They’re chilled but still oh so satisfying:
Can I make this sandwich ahead of time?
Due to the warm, gooey, and buttery nature of these grilled cheese sandwiches, I don’t recommend making them ahead of time. They do not hold up well if stored and reheated. They’re best enjoyed as soon as they’re flipped from the skillet and onto a plate! Well, you may want to give it a moment or two to cool off a little bit… But you get the idea.
What you can do is prep it ahead of time. Combine all of the ingredients between the slices of bread and then wrap it air-tight. Refrigerate if for a day or two, no longer, and cook it as needed. With cold ingredients though, it will take a few minutes longer to heat through and the bacon won’t be as crisp as freshly baked.
Apple Bacon Gouda Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices deli sourdough bread or Italian bread, or deli white bread
- 3-4 slices Applewood smoked bacon
- 3 oz smoked Gouda
- 1/2 Honeycrisp apple sliced thin
- 1 tbsp butter
- Note: feel free to double or triple recipe as needed to make as many sandwiches as you wish.
- Prepare all of the ingredients first.
- Preheat a cooking pan over medium to medium-low heat and melt butter.
- Place two slices of bread into the pan side by side and divide the cheese among the bread slices, covering it evenly.
- Add bacon slices and the apple slices to one bread slice.
- Cook for a couple of minutes to let cheese start to melt, then cover the bread slice that had the bacon and apple with the other bread slice. Press gently.
- Cook on each side until all cheese is completely melted and bread is golden brown.
Originally posted on Will Cook For Smiles on October 3rd, 2013.