Carrot cake is a must-make dessert to make in the spring and these new Salted Caramel Carrot Cake Cupcakes will be the twist you will fall in love with. Soft and moist carrot cakes are topped with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting and topped with caramel drizzle and a sprinkle of salt.
CARROT CAKE CUPCAKES
I’ve spent the whole weekend last week, trying to think of spring recipes to share with you guys. Lemon, lemon, and more lemon recipes just kept popping in my head. Then I thought “there has got to be more than just lemon, why am I stuck on lemon?” Hours later, it finally hit me…
How did I not think about carrot cake first? It is THE spring recipe and the best dessert to make for Easter celebration. Carrot cakes are awesome for so many reasons. First of all, no mixer is needed for making carrot cake and that’s always a huge plus for me. Second of all, the cakes have the best soft and moist texture. Oh, and I can’t forget to mention how perfectly it pairs with caramel. If it goes well caramel, it’s aces in my book!
For this recipe, I used Hershey’s Hot Caramel Topping. I specifically chose that because this caramel topping is much thicker than a regular caramel topping so it doesn’t run right off the cupcake after you drizzle it. When using it, I recommend heating it just to room temperature or a little bit warmer. Do not use it hot or it will melt the frosting!
Some More Cupcake Recipes:
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Salted Caramel Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil + 1 Tbsp
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3 Tbsp hot caramel topping room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Hot caramel topping warmed but not hot
- Coarse salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, carrots, and oil. Mix very well until completely combined.
- Add flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Blend well.
- Let the batter stand for 10-15 minutes while preheating the oven. (I like to let the batter stand to let the carrot flavor and juices to infuse throughout the batter. Give it a little stir before dividing the batter among the cupcake cups.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a muffin baking pan with cupcake liners.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cups, filling them about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Take out and let them cool for 10 minutes before taking them out of the pan. Cool cupcakes completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- Beat cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl, on medium-high speed, for a couple of minutes. Lower the speed to low and add powdered sugar and caramel topping. Mix on low just until powdered sugar is mixed in and raise the speed back to medium-high. Beat for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- For extra salted caramel flavor, I like to drizzle caramel and sprinkle a little coarse salt on top of the cupcake and on top of the frosting. You can choose to do just the frosting or both.
- Transfer the frosting into a piping bag fitted with your favorite frosting attachment. Frost the cupcakes.
- Drizzle some caramel topping over each cupcake and sprinkle some coarse salt.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.