Wonderful chicken thighs dinner that is perfect for a week night or a weekend meal. It’s full of flavor and made with baked chicken thighs that were marinated and cooked in the mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, lemon, and herbs. Mushrooms and cherry tomatoes are great as a side dish or topping.
BAKED CHICKEN THIGHS
The aroma that will be filling the house while this chicken it in the oven, will be unbelievable! This chicken is made with a perfect combination of flavors for a juicy and flavorful dinner. It is so easy to make too and will take you about an hour for prep and bake.
Minimal effort and most of the time just goes into the baking. You can serve this chicken with a side of potatoes or veggies. I also added some feta cheese on top of the tomatoes and veggies after it was cooked. Feta was amazing with this dish.
You will need an oven-safe skillet or an oven proof baking dish. If you use a baking dish, you don’t have to alter any time or temperature. Time for baking would depend on the size of your chicken thighs. If you are using large and plumpy ones, you will have to give it a little more time to bake it all the way through.
CAN I MAKE IT AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, you can! It’s easy to combine the marinade/sauce with chicken and place it in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours. You can do it in the morning and just bake it for dinner time too.
A few notes for making it ahead:
Do NOT prepare it ahead in a cast iron skillet but use a baking dish instead.
Don’t add mushrooms and tomatoes until ready to make. Cut mushrooms and add cherry tomatoes into the pan right before baking, and bake it all together.
Try not to let it sit in the sauce for longer than 10-12 hours because the sauce is quite acidic.
Rice is a wonderful side dish to serve with this baked chicken thighs. It will soak up the sauce and all the great flavors. For a lighter side, try using quinoa, farro, or couscous.
Add some more roasted or pan seared vegetables on the side too. Green beans, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini will all compliment this balsamic chicken.
MORE EASY CHICKEN DINNER RECIPES TO TRY:
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Roasted Chicken Thighs with Tomatoes and Mushrooms
- 1.5-2 lbs bone-in chicken thighs 4 pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice fresh preferably
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes or more if you wish
- 1 cup cut mushrooms or more if you wish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Place the chicken thighs into a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, grated garlic, thyme and salt. Mix well so that the chicken is evenly coated. Marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Rub an oven-safe skillet with some olive oil and place chicken thighs into the skillet, skin down. Pour the remaining marinade over the top.
- Bake chicken in the oven for about 20 minutes. Mix the tomatoes and mushrooms with olive oil and some salt. Flip chicken thighs and add tomatoes and mushrooms. Bake for another 15-20 minutes. (Longer for bigger thighs.)
- Set the oven to broil for about a minute to brown the top to golden. (Watch the chicken so it won't burn.)
Originally published on Will Cook For Smiles on February 23, 2014. Updated June 20, 2020.