This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Smart Balance. All the opinions and photographs are my own!
I’m sharing a new take on an old favorite. I made a better and lighter version of my Chicken Marsala. I ditched the breading, stuffed it with part-skim mozzarella and substituted Smart Balance butter.
Yes, you did heard me right, I said “better AND lighter!”
Do you have those family favorite dinners that everyone loves so much but you try not to make it too often, so you don’t get tired of it? We definitely do. We have a few favorites that I make once every few months so it’s exciting every time! (No, I am not weird!)
Chicken Marsala is a classic that will always be a great go-to meal. Whether you are cooking for holidays or a quiet family night. I decided to spruce up my recipe with a few delicious changes. For one, I made this chicken stuffed with some part-skim mozzarella, which added so much extra flavor. I ditched the breading to make it healthier. Here is a secret, cooking the chicken breast in the pan without any breading to golden brown, brings out so much more flavor than any breading can provide. Hello, it’s healthier too!
Another change I made was using Smart Balance butter in this recipe. Smart Balance products are made without hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, and they naturally have 0g trans fat. Their products contain a unique natural blend of polyunsaturated, monounsaturated and saturated fats designed to help improve cholesterol levels. Smart balance butter sticks and spreadable butter are 1 to 1 substitution for butter in recipes, you are just making a smarter choice.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tbs Smart Balance butter
- 2 cups of sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup of diced green onion
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of Marsala wine (not cooking wine)
- 1/2 teaspoon of dry Marjoram
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lay the chicken breast flat on the cutting board. Carefully, slide the knife (hold it sideways with blade facing away from you) at the top (larger part) of the chicken breast in the center and cut a pocket in the middle. DO NOT slice all the way through the bottom or the sides of the chicken breast. Your ultimate goal is to create a pocket inside the breast with opening at the top. Repeat with all three breasts.
- Slice the cheese into thin slices and stuff the chicken with 3-4 slices each. Make sure the cheese is even throughout the chicken pocket. Salt and pepper outside of the chicken.
- Preheat a large pan on medium heat and melt the Smart Balance butter in it. Add the stuffed chicken breasts.
- Cook on medium heat until done making sure that both sides get nice and golden (lots of flavor comes from the chicken cooked to golden brown). Take out the chicken.
- In the same pan, add the mushrooms, marjoram and green onion. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add Marsala wine and chicken broth. Add a some salt to taste. Bring to low boil on medium-high heat and then turn the heat to medium-low once you see bubbles.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and cook for about 7-10 minutes, turning the chicken half way so both sides get even cooking.
- Serve with a smile!
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Another thing that Smart Balance offers is a complimentary 14-day meal plan to help keep you on track with eating. There is a variety of tasty recipes to make at home. The plan can be downloaded for free here: http://bit.ly/JW4XWz!
*Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Smart Balance. All the opinions and photographs are my own!
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
Few More Chicken Dinner Ideas: