I have to say, this is one rocking calzone! These are Homemade Calzones stuffed with buffalo chicken and gooey mozzarella cheese. There is a surprise too, the dough is ranch flavored!
It has been ages since I’ve had a calzone and even longer since I’ve made one. I also realized that I never posted a recipe for homemade calzones…that needed to be fixed right away!
I knew I wanted to make something special but I couldn’t decide between the two flavors I has. I decided to make them both, the second one I will be keeping a secret until I post it. I am wicked like that and want to torture you….muahaha!
But don’t worry, these Buffalo Chicken ones are amazing!
I know there are many buffalo sauce fans out there, so I’m sure many of you will love these. They are packed with cheesy, buffalo chicken filling and perfect with some Buttermilk Ranch dressing on a side.
But wait…there is more!
This homemade pizza dough is ranch flavored! Yum, yum, yum! I added some ranch dressing mix to the dough to give it just the perfect amount of flavor kick. Ranch and buffalo flavors make a perfect couple so it was only natural to combine them in one calzone!
Did you know that you could save the recipes to your personal recipe box with the Once you have your favorite recipes in your Recipe Box create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List! Don’t forget to check deals and coupons!
- Ranch Pizza Dough:
- 2 1/2 cups of bread flour
- 1 cup of warm water (not hot)
- 1 packet of active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp ranch dressing mix
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp oil for cooking
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped chives
- salt to taste
- Cornmeal for pizza stone
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp water
- Place the active dry yeast in a large mixing bowl. Add warm water, sugar and olive oil. Stir well and let it bloom for about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of flour, salt and ranch mix. Mix the dough with a wooden spoon at first and then use your bands until ingredients are combined. Add the other 1/2 cup of flour and knead the dough until combined.
- Lightly flour some counter surface and transfer your dough onto the floured surface (if dough is too sticky, you may need to add a little bit more flour (about 1/4 cup.)) Knead the dough until smooth. It will take about 2-3 minutes.
- Rub a clean bowl with some olive oil and place the dough in it. Pat the dough with an oiled hand so the dough doesn't stick to the top once raised. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and let it rise in a warm place (away from draft or AC is fine) until doubled in size, about 1- 1 1/2 hours.
- When the dough is almost done, prepare your filling. Cook chicken breasts in an oiled pan, on medium heat with a little bit of salt. When the chicken is golden and cooked through, let it cook on the cutting board.
- Dice cooked chicken breasts and add diced chicken to a medium mixing bowl. Mix with buffalo sauce, cheese and chives until all evenly combined. Set aside.
- When ready, take out the dough and knead it for about a minute until smooth. Roll the dough into about a foot-long roll and cut it in 6 even pieces.
- Roll the pieces of dough into circles about 1/4 inch thick.
- If using a pizza stone, place the stone in a cold oven and preheat the oven to 450. (You can also use a baking sheet.)
- Scoop about 1/3-1/2 cup of filling in the center of each dough circle (be careful not to overfill them). Bring the edges of the dough together and press them, sealing them well. You can also braid the edges or fold them in to secure the filling.
- Whisk egg white and water together and brush calzones with eggwash.
- Be careful and use oven mitts! Sprinkle the hot pizza stone with cornmeal and place calzones on top. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- You can drizzle baked calzones with some more buffalo sauce.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Easy Pepperoni Calzone Recipe from The Gunny Sack
Perfect Pepperoni Pizza from Oh Sweet Basil
Pizza Hut Style Soft Garlic Parmesan Breadsticks from Chocolate Moosey
More Recipes From Me!
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!