1/2 pound elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
3 cups milk
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 large egg
8 oz sharp cheddar, shredded
4 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
4 oz Swiss cheese, shredded
kosher salt, black pepper
2 oz sharp shredded cheddar for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cook the pasta to al dente.
3. While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter.
4. Whisk in the flour, keep stirring for about five minutes. Make sure it’s free of lumps.
5. Stir in the milk, onion, bay leaf, and paprika. Simmer for ten minutes and remove the bay leaf.
6. Temper in the egg. Stir in all the cheeses.(except 2 oz for topping) Season with salt and pepper.
7. Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a casserole dish.
8. Top with remaining cheese.
9. Bake for 30 minutes.
* I am linking this recipe to the Thursday and Friday PARTIES. Why don’t you visit the wonderful hosts and link some of your own projects!