Broccoli Cheese Soup is the most comforting that’s easy to make and makes the whole family happy. This is the best broccoli cheese soup because it’s loaded with bacon as well.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Did you know that Broccoli Cheese Soup was my very first recipe on this blog? Yeap, that is where it all began. I’m almost embarrassed to show you this first post but you can see it here. I’ve contemplated removing my old posts from the first year but once I start thinking about it, I realize that it shows where I came from and how far I’ve come. I used to share my recipes on Facebook with my friends, some suggested that I should start a blog. Bippity, boppity, boo…this little blog was born.
This soup was also my first experience with Velveeta cheese. I can’t even tell you how many years ago I started making this soup. I remember falling in love with it from the first bite. I’ve tried making different broccoli cheese soups through the years, trying different cheeses, but none were as good as using Velveeta. It’s now my family’s favorite recipe for broccoli cheese soup and Velveeta is a big part of it. It makes the soup smooth and creamy while adding extra deliciousness.
I mentioned many times before that my husband is anti-vegetable. Unlike the little man, he tried to avoid eating veggies at any cost. One time, I caught him giving his broccoli to the little man because he didn’t want to eat it.
So it was major when he ate this soup entirely and loved it. I’ve been making this soup ever since and always trying to make it a bit healthier and jam come extra veggies in it. I added some crispy bacon to make him happy and extra hidden veggies to make me happy.
What to serve with bacon broccoli cheese soup:
If you don’t want to miss any new recipes, subscribe to e-mail or follow me through my social media channels!
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Broccoli Bacon Cheese Soup
- 2 bunches of broccoli
- 1 medium carrot
- 5 crispy bacon strips
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese block not shredded (I use 2%)
- 4 oz Swiss block not shredded
- 6 oz Velveeta cheese
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 1 clove of Garlic
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 3 tbs flour
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- fresh cracked peppercorn
- 2 tsp minced fresh parsley
- Steam broccoli until soft. Mash about half the broccoli with a fork, set aside.
- In a medium pot, heat up the oil on medium heat. Add chopped onion and shredded carrot. Saute until the onion is transparent.
- Add minced garlic clove, stir well and saute until fragrant.
- Sprinkle with flour and mix until veggies are coated with flour.
- Slowly pour in the milk and veggie stock while constantly stirring.
- Let the soup heat through (still on medium heat.) Once it starts to boil, start adding cheese.
- Grate the cheddar and Swiss cheese into the pot. Stir slowly until melted. (I recommend using block cheese and grate it in yourself because it will melt much better. Pre-shredded cheese is coated in cornstarch while packaged, so it's a little harder to melt.)
- Chop the Velveeta into 1-inch cubes, for faster melting, and add it to the pot. Stir slowly and constantly until the cheese is melted.
- Stir in chopped bacon.
- Add salt and cracked peppercorns to taste. (Since Velveeta, bacon and other cheeses have salt in it, don't add salt until you add those ingredients.)
- Stir in the broccoli. Lower the heat to medium low, cover and cook for about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the fresh parsley and serve.
Originally published on Will Cook For Smiles on July 8th, 2013.