One of the greatest soups ever created! This is a Copycat recipe of the famous Zuppa Toscana soup from Olive Garden. It’s made with Italian sausage, potatoes and kale. Big bowl of delicious!!
This is one of my all time favorite soups. I used to always get it when I ate at Olive Garden. A couple of years ago I recreated it at home for the exception of Kale. For some off reason, I could not find any kale at the store.
A couple of weeks ago I got a craving for this soup again. The luck was not on my side again as my grocery store was out of kale and the wasn’t any at the farmer’s market open. So this soup was just moved on the menu from week to week until one day I ran to the store for apples and THEY HAD KALE! Whoo hoo, I could finally post the recipe!
1 lb ground Italian sausage
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/3 cup diced yellow onion
4 bacon slices, diced
3 large garlic cloves
3 1/2 cups of vegetable stock
1 cups water (little more if needed)
1/2 cup heavy cream
3- 4 large cubed red potatoes
1/2 of a bunch of kale (about 2 cups sliced)
2 tbs olive oil
1. Heat up the olive oil in a large pot
2. Grate the garlic into it and add the diced onion. Saute for about 30 seconds.
3. Add the diced bacon and saute until bacon is nicely browned.
4. Roll the sausage into little 1/2 inch balls and add to the pot. Cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Add the cubed potatoes. Cook for about 5 more minutes.
6. Add the water and stock. Mix well
7. Add the crushed red pepper flakes and salt. Bring to boil then lower the temperature to medium. Cook until the potatoes are soft. (about 30-35 minutes)
8. Slice the Kale leaves (not the thick part) and add to the soup.
9. Stir in the heavy cream. Cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup diced yellow onion
- 4 bacon slices diced
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 3 1/2 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 cups water little more if needed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3- 4 large cubed red potatoes
- 1/2 of a bunch of kale about 2 cups sliced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Preheat the oil in a large pot, on medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add the diced bacon and saute until bacon is nicely browned.
- Roll the sausage into small,1/2 inch balls and add to the pot. Cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Chop the potatoes into small cubes and add them to the pot. Saute for about 5 more minutes.
- Slowly, pour in water and stock. Mix well. Bring to boil and lower the heat back to medium.
- Add grated or pressed garlic, crushed red pepper flakes and salt. Stir well. Cover but leave a crack to the steam to escape. Cook until the potatoes are soft (about 30-35 minutes).
- Slice the kale leaves (not the stem) and add to the soup.
- Stir in the heavy cream. Cook for about 5 more minutes.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!