Delicious dinner idea for any time of the week. This Creamy Tomato Basil Risotto is simple and has that classic tomato basil flavor that everyone enjoys. This dish is simple and takes about 45 minutes, so it can be done any time of the week.
So my best friend and I spend a lot of time talking about food. (Surprised?) We actually spend a lot of time on the phone because she lives pretty far away from me, so we tend to yap on the phone all day. It’s quite often that we talk while cooking or deciding on dinner. Every time she tells me she is making something, I ask “is it my recipe?” Of course, I get all heartbroken when it’s not but quickly forgive her when she makes something from my blog and send me the picture. I get all warm and fuzzy when people make my food, especially my friends!
The other day, we were talking while she was deciding on what to make. She wanted to make tortellini so I suggested making it with creamy tomato basil sauce. Easy and those flavors are always perfect. She liked that idea and I suddenly got a craving for it too. Except I wanted to make risotto for dinner so I incorporated those flavors into my risotto. It came out beautifully and so tasty.
Creamy Tomato Basil Risotto
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large shallot sliced thin
- 2 medium tomatoes on a vine
- 3 medium garlic cloves minced
- 2/3 cup dry white wine (Like Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay)
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 3 - 4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 5-6 leaves fresh basil minced
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- fresh cracked pepper
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- Preheat a large, deep cooking pan on medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add sliced shallot and saute until fragrant.
- Add diced tomatoes saute for about 3-4 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add Arborio rice and mix well.
- Add 1/3 cup of wine, cook for a couple of minutes then add 1 cup of stock and tomato sauce and stir well. Cook until rice absorbed the liquid.
- Add 1 cup of stock and cook until rice absorbed the liquid.
- Add the second third of wine and 1 cup of stock and cook until rice is done.
- Stir in heavy cream.
- Add fresh minced basil, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- (If liquid is absorbed and rice is not done, then add another 1/2 to 1 cup of stock until rice is fully cooked). Taste to make sure there is enough salt.
- Serve right away, topped with some fresh grated Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or any other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Recipes From Me:
Love this recipe!! So good!
This is just beautiful! I love all of the tomato going on! Pinned!
Thank you so much, Justine!!
Marisa Franca @ All Our Way says
I can take risotto in any shape or form. Talk about comfort food!! Yum ! Yum! Your pictures more than do the dish justice. Now with cooler weather I can’t wait to start my marathon baking 🙂
Awe, thank you, Marisa! Bake away!!
Rina I Thee Cook says
I love Risotto. This looks fantastic!
Thank you so much, Rina!