Unbelievable, soft oatmeal cookies made with fresh lemon zest for a nice citrus burst. These cookies are topped with delicious lemon vanilla glaze that’s made with lemon zest and vanilla bean.
(Originally posed on The 36th Avenue)
What do you think happens when my little guy asks for cookies?
Yeah…we usually bake some. We like to bake and we like cookies, so it’s no brained that we quickly bake some when we have the craving.
Little man and I baked these awesome cookies together and could hardly wait to dig in. (They smelled SO good!) In fact, we didn’t wait to dig in at all. As soon as they were frosted, we got some milk and polished off a few. Warm cookies are the best, don’t you agree?
My little guy’s (and big guy’s) favorite cookies are actually oatmeal cookies, even though they don’t discriminate too much when it comes to cookies. I decided to make their favorite cookies and put a spring/citrus spin on them. These cookies turned out amazing with a citrus touch and vanilla to enhance all the flavors. Glaze puts these cookies over the top and right at the top of my “favorite cookies” list! I hope you’ll like them too.
Glazed Lemon Vanilla Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- Zest from 1 1/2 lemons
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 cup powder sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp heavy cream
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a cookie baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add both sugars and beat for another minute.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add vanilla extract, flour, baking soda and salt. Mix it in on low speed just until incorporated.
- Add oats, while still on low speed, just until incorporated.
- Add lemon zest and mix until evenly mixed throughout.
- Scoop cookie dough and roll about an inch sized balls. Place cookies on parchment paper, about two inches apart. Press very lightly to flatten cookies just a little bit.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes.
- While cookies are baking, prepare the glaze. Scrape vanilla bean seeds into heavy cream and mix well. Warm up heavy cream but not too hot. Add powder sugar to a shallow bowl and add lemon zest. Whisk in heavy cream mixture slowly, until all smooth. Drizzle warm cookies.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Coconut Oatmeal Cookies from Lil’ Luna
Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies with Cream Cheese Glaze from Two Peas In Their Pod
Lil’ Debbie’s Oatmeal Cream Pies from Carlsbad Cravings
Molten Lava Caramel Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies from Chelsea’s Messy Apron
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!