Soft, moist, delicious Lemon Streusel Muffins that will brighten any gloomy morning! Beautiful muffins that are quick and easy, made in about 30 minutes with lemon zest in the muffin and in the streusel topping for a beautiful citrus flavor.
I have confess, I never used to like citrus flavors. Actually, I don’t remember eating many baked goods with citrus flavors growing up so I never had much of a chance to start liking it. It was only a few years ago that I found out why I never ate any lemon or lime flavored goodies and it’s because my mom does not like any sweets with citrus flavors. I really never knew it but that would definitely explain me not eating any when I was a kid.
A few years ago, I started getting a taste for lemon and lime sweets and I realized that I love it! Even through I still do not like lemonade, I love lemon/lime dessert treats.
Muffins and cakes in particular because they are always so sunny and comforting fresh from the oven. It’s not only because they are delicious but they can brighten your mood on any gloomy morning. These muffins in particular are delightful. They are soft and cozy with added sugary crunch from lemon flavored streusel on top. Perfection!
Lemon Streusel Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 4 tbs melted butter
- 1½ cups low fat buttermilk I use 1%
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Lemon zest from 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. white granulated sugar
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 and grease a 12-cup muffin pan with some baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg, sugar, melted butter, sour cream and buttermilk.
- Sift in flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk together until smooth.
- Add lemon zest and whisk until evenly incorporated. Set batter aside. Let it stand for about 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, white sugar, lemon zest and flour. Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated evenly.
- Pour in melted butter and carefully fold it in with a large fork. You will want to be careful so you don’t over-mix. Streusel should look like large crumbs and not paste.
- Sprinkle about two tablespoons of streusel on top of each muffin.
- Fill muffin pan cups about 2/3 full with muffin batter. I recommend using an ice cream scoop when making muffins and cupcakes, so that you have an even amount of batter each time. Bake for 18-20 minutes. (Do a toothpick test to check if they are done, or just touch the top to feel how firm they are.)
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!