Sweet, nutty, comforting French Toast Breakfast Casserole made to taste just like the holiday favorite pecan pie. This French Toast Casserole will make a wonderful breakfast and brunch during the holiday season (and beyond).
French Toast Casserole
Do you have a favorite breakfast dish? I sure do. I adore French Toast.
What’s not to love there? You’ve got eggs, bread, and it’s pleasantly sweet. It’s even more fun trying it out in different flavors and toppings. I love it! …and I miss it.
Can I just say how much it’s bumming me out to go through my favorite holiday and comfort food season having to be gluten free? I was drooling over this French toast casserole all day. It didn’t just smell incredible, it tasted that way too. Of course, I have to at least taste every dish but that’s where it starts being sad because I can just taste it, can’t eat it. And, once you taste something this delicious, it’s really hard to stop. My husband on the other hand, he thoroughly enjoyed it.
Did you see a funny skit that Food Network put on on the election day? They were doing a live video on Facebook and had people vote on their favorite holiday pie. It was a tight race between pumpkin pie, apple pie, and pecan pie. I honestly thought that pumpkin pie would blow all the others away but it was a pleasant surprise to see how tight the race was between all three.
Me, I love all three and especially if there is a streusel topping involved. I also love pecan pie but I never get to have it since I’m the only one in my family who likes it. That’s why I was happy to see that a pecan pie had just as big of the fan base as the other classic holiday pies.
It’s easy to KEEP UP with NEW recipes through my social media channels:
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Pecan Pie French Toast Casserole
- About a 1/2 lb French baguette 12 1/2-inch slices
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pecan pie topping:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups pecan halves somewhat crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Slice bread and lay it over the bottom of the casserole dish (you may have to overlap the bread slices slightly).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, 3 Tbsp brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon, until smooth.
- Pour egg mixture slowly all over the bread, making sure there are no dry spots on the bread. Press on bread slices. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pot, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in brown sugar and corn syrup.
- Once the mixture is heated through and sugar is melting, stir in pecans and cinnamon. Cook for a few minutes and take off heat.
- Scoop small spoonfuls of pecan pie mixture all over the bread, making sure it's covering the bread evenly.
- Bake French toast casserole for 40-43 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Homemade Chocolate Croissant from A trEAT Affair
Cinnamon Roll Muffins from Some The Wise
Tomato Leek and Spinach Quiche from The Food Charlatan
Bacon Egg and Cheese Monkey Bread from Lemon Tree Dwelling
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Delicious Recipes From Me: