Amazing pasta dinner that will make you swoon! Pasta skillet made with sweet German smoked sausage, tomatoes, basil, leeks, and creamy sauce. It’s topped with a little bit of cheese because cheese makes everything even better.
Tomato Basil Sausage Pasta Skillet
I finally got around to planting my first herbs in the new house last week! I’m quite excited because it’s been a while since I had some fresh, home-grown herbs around. A few years ago, I had a small garden on my balcony but for the following two years in a row, I kept getting infested with caterpillars and birds would not leave my garden alone. So I gave up trying.
I’m still slowly working on the yard at the new house. I’m debating whether I want to plant my garden straight in the ground, or whether I want to build some wooden garden beds. (Any avid gardeners out there that can give me some advice?) In the mean time, I have some planters on the patio, where I started some herb seeds. Basil is taking off like a weed, of course. It’s always been the best crop out of all the other herbs I grew at home. As long as you keep pinching off the flowers before they get a chance to bloom, you will have plenty of basil leaves all summer long.
In anticipation of my upcoming basil crop, I wanted to make something loaded with basil for dinner. Since I always have pesto on hand, it didn’t seem like anything new or different, so I made this fantastic sausage and pasta dish loaded with my favorite flavor combo, tomato and basil. It came out SO tasty, I had a hard time stopping myself from eating it the whole time I was shooting the pictures. It was even harder to wait for hubs to get home for dinner, knowing that this deliciousness was waiting to be eaten, smelling it in the house hour after hour. It was very satisfying once we finally got to devour this tasty dish.
Make sure to subscribe for free e-mail newsletter and follow me through social media channels to keep up with the recipes!
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Tomato Basil Sausage and Pasta Skillet
- 10 oz of pasta dry (choose penne, rotini, or something similar)
- 14 oz Sweet German smoked sausage choose another smoked sausage if preferred
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil for cooking
- 1/2 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 large leek green cut off, sliced thin
- 0.75 oz basil leaves minced
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes drained
- 3 garlic cloves pressed
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp tomato sauce
- Fresh cracked peppercorns
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to the package instructions, drain and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet through over medium heat.
- Add oil, onion and leek to the skillet and saute until transparent.
- Take casing off sausage, chop it and add it to the skillet. Cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in cooked pasta.
- Add drained, diced tomatoes and pressed garlic. Mix well.
- Add salt and cracked peppercorns to taste. Cook for a few minutes, stirring often.
- Add heavy cream, tomato sauce, and minced basil, mix well, and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Take off heat. Top off with some mozzarella cheese as serving.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Cheesy Taco Pasta Skillet from Two In The Kitchen
Salsa Verde Chicken Pasta from Kevin & Amanda
Skillet Lasagna from No. 2 Pencil
Creamy Chicken Noodle Skillet from The Girl Who Ate Everything
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!