Deliciously comforting Italian Wedding Soup! Satisfying soup made with turkey meatballs, kale and orzo.
Ah, comfort in a bowl!
I love soups. Every year, I can’t wait to the Fall season just so I can start making all the best comfort dishes, and soups are definitely at the top of my list. I know that in Florida, Fall doesn’t really start until December, but I still like to start making comfort recipes the moment September hits.
This is one of my favorite soups to make. As much as I like making all kinds of different soups, I am partial to a few. If forced to choose, I’d say that Zuppa Tuscana, Italian Wedding, Tomato Bisque and Crab Bisque are at the top of my soup list. (Oh, but it leaves out so many.)
I love this soup because it’s perfect for any mood and it has the best combination of flavors. First, you have meatballs and common, meatballs will make any soup a winner. You can actually play around and make chicken or beef meatballs here. Personally, I like turkey. Next, you have kale. I love kale and usually graze on raw kale while making this soup. I purposely leave out a couple of leaves for me to munch on. Then, you have a touch of pasta in the tiny orzo bites. You can use any small pasta like ditalini, stars or acini di pepe. (If you wish, you can omit pasta all together.) Finally, the “cherry on top” is fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
Oh, and guess what? This is a one-pot soup. I love that part. You may be tempted to cook meatballs in a separate pan but you will miss out on SO much flavor! Cook them in the same pot that you will be making this soup and hold on to all that great flavor that comes from browning meat and onions.
Did you know that you could save the recipes to your personal recipe box with the Once you have your favorite recipes in your Recipe Box create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List! Don’t forget to check deals and coupons!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- ¼ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup minced yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp mined Italian parsley
- salt, fresh ground pepper
- Meatballs from above
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 6 cups of stock
- About 6 cups of chopped kale
- ¾ cup dry orzo
- 1 garlic clove
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 egg + 2 Tbsp fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredient for the meatballs and mix until all evenly combined.
- Preheat a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Form small meatballs and add them to the pot. Cook meatballs over medium heat until about half way done.
- Add chopped onion and minced garlic. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Slowly add stock and raise heat to medium-high. Bring it to boil and lower the heat back to medium.
- Add salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Add orzo and chopped kale. Cook until orzo is done.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl and mix it with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
- Once orzo is cooked, start slowly swirling soup (in one direction) and slowly pour in the egg mixture.
- Cook for about a minute or two and serve.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
White Bean and Roasted Mushroom Soup from She Wears Many Hats
Carrot, Tomato and Coconut Soup from Green Kitchen Stories
Tuscan Ravioli Soup from Kleinworth & Co.
Crockpot Beer Cheese Soup from Family Fresh Meals
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Delicious Recipes From Me: