Comforting, creamy, cheesy soup to cheer you up and warm you up. Made with cauliflower, ham, and white cheddar cheese, this soup is filling but light.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
I am so tired of the yo-yo weather! It’s two days of cold, four days of hot, two days of freezing, four days of hot. My air conditioner tells me to make up my mind already and the plants are going crazy. It’s the second year in the row where temperatures are that crazy. I mean, we never get an early winter here, in FL, but we at least get steady cooler temperature by Christmas. This hot/cold weather tantrum is really messing with my head and people’s health.
‘Tis surely is the season… for colds. Between most of the country dealing with snow storms and this crazy weather pattern in FL, it’s officially time for some cozy hot cocoa and soup. Half the family has been having colds non-stop for weeks and I was really hoping that I could avoid it but it found me, and it found me hard. I’ve been moping for a week now. All I want is some hot tea and soup.
Although, to be honest, what I really want is some ooey-gooey macaroni and cheese but I can’t have that because gluten-free pasta is just not the same and I don’t like it. But, you know what? This creamy, cheesy soup has been satisfying my craving beautifully. I love the great flavors that come together in this simple soup and I love that it’s hearty enough without having any pasta or potatoes packed in it. It’s just what the doctor ordered!
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil for cooking
- 1 small yellow onion
- .75 lb ham
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1½ Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp dry sage
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 3-4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 oz sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- Dice onion and set aside. Dice ham into small pieces and set aside. Cut cauliflower florets off, discard the stem, and chop florets onto small pieces. Set it aside as well.
- Preheat a medium pot over medium heat with some oil. Add diced onion and saute until transparent. Add ham and cook for a few minutes. Add pressed garlic, mix, and cook until fragrant.
- Add prepared cauliflower, mix well and cook for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over veggies and ham and mix well.
- Pour in chicken stock, while slowly stirring. Enough chicken stock to just covers the cauliflower mixture.
- Add bay leaf, salt, pepper, and sage. Stir and cover with a lid, leaving a crack for steam to escape. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in heavy whipping cream and grated white cheddar cheese. Cook for a few more minutes and serve.
- **To make this soup gluten-free, substitute flour with either gluten-free flour or 1 tbsp of corn starch.**
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
White Bean and Ham Soup from Simply Recipes
One Pot Bean Ham and Tortellini Soup from Carlsbad Cravings
Ham Mac and Cheese Soup from The Food Charlatan
Ham and White Cheddar Beer Cheese Soup from With Salt and Whit
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
Some More Recipes From Me: