Comforting, cheesy cauliflower soup that’s easy to make for a weeknight dinner or a quick lunch. This simple cauliflower cheese soup takes only about 40 minutes to make and you will be enjoying this cheesy, creamy, hearty soup.
Cauliflower Cheese Soup
This has been one RAINY season in Florida. Rainy summer is continuing all the way though August. I really hope that fall won’t be this wet because I have a lot of fun fall-themed outings planned this year.
One thing that makes these yucky afternoons better is comfort food. Rainy weather calls for soup, casseroles, and mashed potatoes. I love mashed potatoes, it’s pretty much the ultimate comfort food for me. Mashed potatoes and hearty soups are the best.
I can’t wait for the cold weather to kick in so I can make all comfort food all the time.
I’m already in the fall mood. It might still be August but in my mind, I’m already decorating the house with fall leaves and pumpkins. I’m waiting for the first day of September to hang my door wreath and decorate the outside of the house. If I do it now, my neighbors might think I’m crazy.
Even though I’m waiting to decorate, I am not waiting to cook and bake our fall favorite dishes. This week, I surprised hubby with his favorite Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie after work and little man and I enjoyed THREE different soups.
This Cauliflower Cheese Soup is my absolute favorite. I love cauliflower so much more than broccoli so a cauliflower cheese soup is the best, in my opinions. If you love cauliflower, you will agree!
A VARIATION OF CAULIFLOWER CHEESE SOUP TO TRY:
- You can easily customize this cauliflower cheese soup to add meat of other flavors.
- I’ve added roasted garlic to this soup before and it was an amazing flavor addition. You can read about roasting garlic in this delicious Fettuccine Recipe.
- You can also add chicken or turkey to this soup. To add meat, you can add already cooked chicken while sauteing the cauliflower.
- You can also chop raw chicken or turkey into small cubes and cook it in the pot before cooking the veggies. Take the chicken out of the pot and use the same pot to start making the soup. Add cooked chicken back into the pot after sauteing the cauliflower.
HOW CAN I MAKE THIS SOUP LIGHTER:
- There are a few ways to make this soup lighter. First, you can try adding fat free half and half instead of heavy whipping cream. It’s not as thick as heavy cream but it will add smooth creaminess to the soup.
- You can also try fat free evaporated milk instead of heavy whipping cream.
- You can use lighter, 2% cheese instead of the whole milk cheese.
CAN THIS SOUP BE GLUTEN FREE?
- Yes! This soup can absolutely be gluten free with one simple substitution. Instead of flour, you can use corn starch or gluten-free flour. Personally, I prefer to use corn starch. It thickens the soup nicely with just a small amount and the result is nice and smooth.
IF YOU LIKE THIS PASTA CASSEROLE, HERE ARE SOME MORE RECIPES YOU WILL LIKE:
Creamy and Chunky Turkey Potato Soup – Delicious, comforting turkey potato soup that’s loaded with turkey and veggies. This creamy soup is made with accents of garlic and Parmesan cheese.
The Best Mushroom Soup – This creamy soup is made with three types of mushrooms and fresh sage. It’s simple, hearty and guaranteed to please every mushroom lover.
Asiago Broccoli Cheese Soup – This comforting, homemade soup is made with two flavorful cheeses, sharp white cheddar cheese and Asiago cheese.
A FEW OTHER CASSEROLES YOU FOR YOU TO CHECK OUT:
Oven Baked Buffalo Cauliflower – Spend With Pennies
Sticky Sesame Cauliflower Bites – Diethood
Slow Cooker Cauliflower Baked Potato Soup – Peas and Crayons
Spanish Cauliflower Rice – The Food Charlatan
If you don’t want to miss any new recipes, subscribe to e-mail or follow me through my social media channels!
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Cauliflower Cheese Soup
- 2.25 lbs head of cauliflower
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Vidalia onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3.5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz block sharp white cheddar cheese
- fresh cracked black pepper
Prepare your veggies first. Dice onion and set aside. Cut cauliflower florets off and discard the bottom part of the stem ( you can use most of the stems in soup). Dice cauliflower onto small pieces. Set it aside as well. Peel garlic to be ready to press.
Grate cheese on a large cheese grater and set aside.
Preheat a medium pot over medium heat and add oil.
Add diced onion and saute until transparent.
Add pressed garlic, mix, and cook until fragrant.
Add prepared cauliflower, mix well and saute for a few minutes. (Add a little more olive oil if needed.)
Sprinkle flour over veggies and mix well.
Start pouring in chicken stock, while slowly stirring. Add enough chicken stock to cover the cauliflower mixture.
Add salt and pepper. Stir and cover with a lid, leaving a crack for steam to escape. Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in heavy whipping cream and grated white cheddar cheese. Slowly stir until cheese is melted and smooth. Take off heat.
All images and text ©Lyubov Brooke for ©Will Cook For Smiles. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If using my posts in collections and features, please link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be 100% accurate as most ingredients and brands have a slight variation.