This is an amazing Crab Stuffed Mushrooms appetizer! These stuffed mushrooms are a piece of food heaven with a perfect combination of cream cheese, herbs, crab meat, and grated Parmesan cheese.
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms make a wonderful appetizer for the crown or for an intimate dinner. It will be wonderful even substituted for dinner.
Flaky, juicy crab mixed with some cream cheese and fresh herbs is just heaven for the taste buds. At first bite, you will sit back and enjoy the flavors take over.
Stuffed mushrooms in general make a crowd pleasing appetizer. Whether it’s a classic recipe of have added flavors like crab, bacon, sausage, or even veggies.
The amount of mushrooms can easily be adjusted if serving for more people or less. You can use small mushrooms and that way, you will get more of them. Or, you can use larger mushrooms and get fewer. (Of course, the recipe can be doubled as needed too.)
When cooking smaller or larger mushrooms, adjust cooking time by adding or taking away 5 minutes or so.
How to make crab stuffed mushrooms:
Start by washing mushrooms. Most mushrooms come with quite a bit of dirt and you do not want to eat that.
Carefully, pop off or cut off the stem from the mushrooms cap, right where it connects to the cap. If needed, scrape off the dark membranes.
Set mudroom caps in a slightly greased baking dish, cup up.
Check crab meat thoroughly to make sure there are no pieces of shells.
In a mixing bowl, combine the ingredients for stuffing and mix well.
Stuff each mushroom all the way in the mushroom cup with a little dome.
Sprinkle wit some grated Parmesan cheese and bake.
How to make crab stuffed mushrooms gluten free:
It’s very simple to make these stuffed mushrooms gluten free. Simply substitute bread crumbs for gluten free bread crumbs and increase the amount slightly.
Add extra 1 or 2 tablespoons of gluten free bread crumbs since they are not as dense as regular bread crumbs.
Some more appetizer ideas:
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- 16 oz medium portobello mushrooms
- Save stems of the above mushrooms
- 2 tsp olive oil to toss mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil to saute veggies
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion
- Finely chopped mushrooms stems from above
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp minced fresh dill weed
- 1 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz claw or lump crab meat
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese grated
- Salt pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh Parmesan cheese grated, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Wash your mushrooms and carefully take off the stems. Toss the mushrooms lightly in olive oil and set aside.
- Preheat a saute pan and 1 tbsp of olive oil on medium high heat. Saute the finely chopped mushrooms and onion until starting to caramelize. Press garlic into the onion/mushroom mixture and saute just until fragrant. Set veggies aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine crab meat, cooked veggies, cream cheese, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, dill weed, parsley, egg, salt, and pepper. Mix very well until all combined.
- Place the mushroom cups into the baking dish. Carefully fill the cups with the mixture pressing down lightly with your finger to fit a little bit more.
- Grate some fresh Parmesan over the mushrooms.
- Bake crab stuffed mushrooms for about 20-25 minutes making sure that the mushrooms are completely cooked and hot throughout. (If you are using smaller mushrooms then adjust the time accordingly since they will bake faster.)
Originally published on Will Cook For Smiles on August 25, 2013.