Creamy Parmesan Rice is a great way to brighten your side dish with lots of flavor. Garlic, onion, fresh grated parmesan cheese, and parsley make this rice side a great addition to any dinner. It also reheats like a dream in the microwave so it’s excellent for making ahead of time.
Delicious Rice Side Dish
Sometimes, you just need a solid, trusty rice side dish to really round out your plate! While I have a long list of rice recipes I enjoy, this Creamy Parmesan Rice may just be at the top of the list. It’s got tons of cheesy, garlicky flavor, and the consistency really is oh so creamy. While it is flavorful, it’s also pretty simple, so you can plate it with a number of different entrees. Chicken, beef, pork, seafood, and anything else you’re craving will likely go well with this easy rice side dish!
So, where does that incredibly creamy consistency come from? The rice itself is cooked in a concoction of buttery sautéed garlic and onions, warm stock, and whole milk. Before serving, a splash more of milk and freshly grated parmesan cheese is stirred in. Between the touch of butter, whole milk, and parmesan cheese, the rice always turns out perfectly creamy without being overly heavy. Go ahead and sprinkle a little extra parmesan on top before serving to really send it over the top.
The flavors at play here are also what makes this rice so memorable. And when I say memorable, I mean that your family will be asking for it over and over again! Garlic and onions are sautéed before being stirred into the rice as it cooks, which lends a delicious, yet subtle flavor to the entire dish. The most stand-out ingredient in this rice side dish is most obviously the freshly grated parmesan cheese, of which I can never seem to get enough!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Butter – I prefer using unsalted butter to keep this recipe lower in sodium, but you can use salted butter if you’d prefer.
- Garlic – freshly minced garlic cloves will yield the best flavor and aroma.
- Onion – yellow onions will work well here.
- Jasmine Rice – you can also use another long-grain rice, just adjust cooking time per package instructions!
- Water – make sure to warm it up before adding to the pot.
- Stock – You can use Chicken Stock or vegetable stock. It will also need to be warmed.
- Milk – Feel free to use either whole or 2% milk. It will also need to be warmed. I don’t recommend using skim or 1%, as the consistency won’t be as creamy.
- Parmesan Cheese – It is best to use freshly grated parmesan cheese only! Bagged, pre-shredded cheese has an anti-caking powder that prevents it from clumping in the bag. This will also prevent it from fully mixing into the rice and making it creamy. Plus, freshly grated cheese always yields the BEST flavor.
- Salt – You may want to omit this if you use salted butter.
- Black Pepper – Freshly ground black pepper yields the best flavor.
- Fresh Parsley – This adds the nicest touch of color and fresh aroma!
Step-by-Step Cooking Instructions:
This quick and easy parmesan rice side dish recipe is perfect for weeknight dinners, holiday feasts, and potlucks. There’s never a bad time to serve it!
Warm the liquids.
Warm your water, stock, and milk for just a few moments in the microwave or on your stove-top. You want to make sure it’s not boiling, just warmed.
Sauté the garlic and onions.
Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Once melted, stir in the onions and cook until they’re softened and brown.
Mix in the garlic and continue to cook for another minute or so.
Add the rice.
Stir the rice into the pot. Let it sauté, stirring slowly from time to time. Continue stirring for a minute or two.
Cook the rice.
Pour in the warmed stock, water, and milk. Stir in the seasonings, then lower the heat to low.
Cover the pot. Cook the rice for the time instructed on the package directions.
Serve and enjoy!
Once the rice is tender and cooked, remove the pot from the heat. Stir in a little more milk, the parmesan cheese, and parsley. Fluff it before serving, and enjoy!
You can store your leftover parmesan rice in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, for about 4-5 days. It reheats fabulously in the microwave. To refresh the rice when reheating, add a tablespoon or two of stock or milk to the rice. Microwave it covered with a microwave lid or a plate turned upside down. Reheat for about 30-40 seconds at a time, stirring in between until warmed through.
You can serve this creamy and cheesy rice side dish with all your favorite meats but I highly recommend something leaner since this is a rich and filling side.
Creamy Parmesan Rice
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 yellow onion diced
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup water warmed
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock warmed
- 1 cup whole or 2% milk warmed
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh minced parsley
- 3-4 tbsp whole or 2% milk to mixed in after cooking
- Note: you can warm water, stock, and milk for a few seconds in a microwave or on stove-top. Make sure it's not hot or boiling, just warmed so you are not adding cold liquids to the rice.
- Preheat a medium cooking pot over medium heat and melt butter. Once butter is melted, add in diced onion and sauté until translucent and starts to brown.
- Mix in minced garlic and sauté until just fragrant.
- Stir in rice and let it sauté, while you slowly stir from time to time, for a minute or so.
- Pour in warmed stock and water and then milk. Add the seasoning, gently stir just a couple of times and lower the heat to low.
- Cover the pot and let the rice cook for the amount of time recommended on the packaging (usually around 18 -20 minutes).
- As soon as the rice is done, take it off heat, add a little more milk, parmesan cheese, and parsley and gently fluff and mix everything in.