This comforting Swedish Meatballs Pasta Casserole makes a great weekend dinner and it’s even better as leftovers. Tender, juicy meatballs are baked with pasta, creamy sauce, and some Swiss cheese on top. Don’t forget to pick up some Lingonberry jam because it’s a life-changer.
SWEDISH MEATBALLS PASTA CASSEROLE
Let me tell you, Swedes came up with some delicious meatballs. It might sounds crazy at first, to combine sweet jam with a savory meatball, but it totally works and it’s really tasty together.
When I was first introduced to Swedish meatballs, I thought it was insane to have jam with a meatball. I did not try it then and I did not try it for years after that.
As I started to get a little more adventurous with food, I decided to give it a shot. Why not, right? What’s the worst that can happen?
After that first bite of a delicious meatball with a touch of Lingonberry jam, I was instantly sorry that I didn’t try it years ago. If I would have just tried it, I could have been enjoying this tasty combination of flavors so much longer.
So if you’re debating how can sweet jam and a savory meatball possibly go together, stop debating and taste a bite!
Better yet, get the ingredients you need and make this Swedish Meatballs Pasta Casserole for dinner. Don’t forget to grab some Lingonberry jam as well.
This pasta casserole is basically a classic Swedish Meatballs and sauce recipe that is baked with rottini pasta. I did take the liberty with adding some Swiss cheese on top because you can’t possibly have a pasta casserole without the cheese.
MORE PASTA RECIPES TO TRY:
BBQ Ranch Chicken Pasta Casserole – Easy pasta casserole loaded with chicken, tomatoes, corn, red onion, and lots of cheese. It’s baked with a simple BBQ ranch sauce.
Creamy Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Casserole – Creamy, cheesy casserole made with ham, chicken, lot’s of creamy Monterrey Jack cheese sauce, mozzarella cheese and pasta.
Stuffed Pepper Pasta Casserole – Inspired by the classic stuffed bell peppers dish, this comforting pasta casserole is made with ground beef, bell peppers, pasta, and cheese. Bow tie pasta, beef, and veggies are baked with a gooey cheese of top.
Four Cheese Chicken and Sausage Tortellini Casserole – Tortellini casserole that’s packed chicken and sausage, it had tasty tortellini pasta and mixed with pasta sauce and four kinds of cheese.
A FEW CASSEROLE RECIPES TO TRY:
Broccoli Cheese Casserole and Ham – Spend with Pennies
Instant Pot Pizza Pasta Casserole – Family Fresh Meals
Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Casserole – Lil Luna
Buffalo Chicken Alfredo Bake – Back For Seconds
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
PIN THE RECIPE
Swedish Meatballs Pasta Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1 slice of wheat bread
- 1/4 cup milk (some milk will be squeezed out)
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups beef stock warmed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 lb rottini pasta
- 1.5 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Cook pasta at the same time as meatballs. Drain off water and set pasta aside.
- Combine ground beef, ground pork, egg, minced onion, spices, salt, and pepper in large mixing bowl.
- Squeeze out most of the milk from the slice of bread, break it up, and add it to the bowl. Mix everything very well.
- Preheat a large cooking pan over medium heat. Add a little oil for cooking meatballs.
- Grease your hands with some cooking spray. Scoop out some meat using a cookie scoop and roll meatballs. (You can make meatballs bigger or smaller according to your own preference. Just remember to adjust cooking time if making bigger or smaller meatballs.) I rolled about 3/4 inch meatballs.
- Roll all the meatballs before adding them to the pan. Once all the meatballs are rolled, add them to the hot pan.
- Cover with a lid and cook until about half way done, then flip. Cook until meatballs are just done. Take meatballs out of the pan and set aside. Save the juices from cooking meatballs in a little sauce dish.
- Use the same pan for sauce.
- Set heat under the cooking pan to medium. Melt butter in the skillet and whisk in flour once it's melted.
- Add saved meatball meat juice slowly while stirring constantly.
- Slowly add beef stock while whisking constantly. Keep whisking until smooth.
- Add the salt, pepper, heavy cream, and sour cream. Whisk until combined. Bring to simmer still over medium heat. Stir once in a while. Once it simmered, take off heat.
- Spread pasta in the prepared casserole dish.
- Add meatballs throughout pasta and pour sauce all over. Make sure everything is spread evenly throughout the casserole dish.
- Spread shredded Swiss cheese over the top and off to the oven to bake.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Make sure to try the dish with a little bit of Lingonberry jam!