Cheesy and creamy Sausage Peppers and Onions Dip loaded with Italian sausage, veggies and lots of cheese. It’s a simple dip with a whole lot of flavor.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
I was happy to partner with Johnsonville in this post. All opinions are 100% my own.
Show of hands, who will be watching the Big Game for the football and who will be watching for the commercials?
I definitely prefer the commercials and half time over the football game. Normally, people change the channel as soon as the commercials come on because they’re stupid, annoying, and most of them make no sense. That is not the case for the commercials during The Big Game….they’re awesome, and they’re funny. I look forward to it every year.
No matter why you’re watching the game though, everyone agrees on the food and drinks being a must and needs to be a lot. Food for tailgating and football games is the most searched kinds of recipes, after Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners of course. People want delicious food that is easy to make AND easy to eat. I bet if you’re hosting the game day party you want “easy” as a number one criteria.
I know that when I host the game day party, or helping a friend with hosting, easy is definitely a must. No one really wants to spend half a day preparing one snack.
This is exactly where my Cheesy Sausage Peppers and Onions Dip shines. It is super easy, it has only 5 ingredients, and it is quickly made on stove top using one cooking pan. When it comes to flavor, it is just as fantastic. In the past week, I’ve made this dip twice and my husband ended up licking the plate clean each time. The classic combination of sausage, onions, and peppers mixed together with cream cheese and gooey mozzarella cheese is pure heaven.
This dip really does have a lot of flavor packed in one and it’s all thanks to the Johnsonville sausage. There is no need for a ton of seasonings or flavor enhancing ingredients because it’s all in the sausage. All you need is the beautiful compliment of peppers and onions, and creaminess of the cheese.
As my husband said, “This is a perfect “stop time” snack! Every time there is a break in the action, you go straight for the dip!”
- About 2 Tbsp vegetable oil for cooking
- 1 package of Johnsonville ground sausage (use mild, hot, or sweet)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Dice onion and set aside. Take out seeds and membrane of the bell pepper and dice it as well.
- Preheat a large cooking pan over medium-high heat. Add oil to the pan.
- Add onions and pepper and saute until the veggies start to get some golden sear. Season the veggies with a little bit of salt. Lower the heat to medium.
- Add ground sausage and break it up as much as you can. Cover and cook sausage until just done, stirring and breaking up clumps often. (There will be juices from the sausage, do not drain it off.)
- Cut cream cheese into 6 or so pieces and throw them in the pan. Slowly stir in cream cheese with sausage and veggies until completely combined.
- Take off heat and stir in mozzarella cheese.
- Serve with your choice of chips, pretzels, or crackers.
If you want to find MORE great sausage recipes for The Big Game, there is a fun place to go. Johnsonville is has a new online reality show that’s called The Sausage Dome. (How funny is that?) It’s a fun cooking competition where social celebs and enthusiasts create sausage-based recipes recipes and get judged by the to a panel of six Johnsonville employee members called The Sausage Six. It’s pretty funny and the recipes are very creative. Go watch!
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Johnsonville. The opinions and text are all mine.