Scrumdelicious chicken dinner and it’s super easy to make. Juicy chicken breasts stuffed with sweet apples, crispy bacon and sharp cheddar cheese.
Hungry husband: “I want bacon…”
Me: “You just want bacon or do you want dinner with bacon? Like chicken?”
HH: “Hmmm, chicken…oh, how about Chicken Kiev?”
Me: “Where does the bacon come in?”
Me: “OH, how about bacon and cheese stuffed chicken? Better yet, bacon, cheese and apple stuffed chicken?”
HH: “Oh yea!”
…And that’s how I get many dinner ideas, with the help of hubby’s cravings. He loves Chicken Kiev but there are only so many times I would make the same dish over and over. Every time I ask him what he wants for dinner, I get the same one of five favorite dishes. Those dishes are great, there is no denying, but I like variety and can’t live on the same five dishes every week. So I tend to go a whole other creative way when he asks for something I’ve made a million times, like this chicken. It’s similarly made to Chicken Kiev, except I changed the stuffing and didn’t bread the outside of the chicken. It turned out so good! Much lighter, still so juicy and so much flavor.
Apple Bacon Cheddar Stuffed Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium apple sweet, peeled, and cored
- 1 lb bacon
- 4-5 oz sharp cheddar cheese block, to stuff
- 2 oz cheese for topping
- 1 tsp Salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper more or less to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil for the baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Chop cold bacon into pieces and cook them in the preheated pan over medium to medium-low heat until crispy. Drain off the bacon fat and set the bacon bits aside to cool. (Set aside some bacon bits to top off the chicken in the end.)
- Dice apples and mix it with bacon in a bowl.
- Slice cheese into about 1/8 inch slices.
- Butterfly each chicken breast and be careful not to cut all the way through. Place opened butterflied chicken breasts on a large plastic cutting board and cover them with some plastic wrap. (This will precent any chicken juices from splattering while you tenderize it.)
- Gently pound each chicken breast with the flat wise of the meat tenderizer until thinned. Be careful not to hit it too hard so you don't have any holes in the chicken. Also, don't make it too thin or it will rip while you are trying to roll it with stuffing.
- Discard the plastic wrap and salt and pepper each chicken breast to taste.
- Place two slices of cheese in the center of chicken breast. Add some apple/bacon mixture on top of cheese. You'll have to judge how much stuffing to add by the size of the chicken. Each breast varies in size and you should be able to bring edges together with just a little overlap. Once you closed the chicken, place it in a greased baking dish or a cast iron skillet, seam down.
- Repeat with remaining chicken. Add a little more salt and pepper on top.
- Bake chicken for 30-35 minutes.
- Spread some grated cheddar cheese on top of each chicken pocket and sprinkle some diced bacon over it.
- Bake for just a few more minutes to melt the cheese.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Shrimp and Bacon Alfredo Stuffed Chicken from The Midnight Baker
Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken from Life In The Lofthouse
Mozzarella and Pepperoni Stuffed Chicken from Simply Gloria
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Delicious Recipes From Me: