It’s getting close! Halloween is almost here!
What will you be serving for breakfast on Halloween? Will you be having some fun with your Halloween breakfast?
If you haven’t decided yet, I have an idea for you. It’s Bloody Pancakes! More specifically, it’s buttermilk pancakes topped with blood…ok, ok, it’s not blood…it’s “chocolate covered strawberry” syrup! Oh yea!
I don’t know about you but I like to make something fun for Halloween breakfast. Last year, it was only “OK.” I made some pumpkin shaped, pumpkin pancakes and egg-white ghosts. They thought it was cute, not scary, creepy or fun….just “cute.”
I wanted to make something MUCH more fun this year! I went with fun and creepy… BLOOD….
Bloody pancakes to be exact. They are just soft and fluffy buttermilk pancakes but the topping is everything. (They are topped with blood! I took out a little too much …. had to pump some back…)
I’m just kidding, it’s NOT real blood. It’s actually “chocolate covered strawberry” syrup.
I used some frozen strawberries in their own juice to make the syrup. (You can use fresh strawberries of course, my store was completely out of fresh strawberries for some reason.) I added some cornstarch to make the strawberry syrup thicker and gooey-er, like blood.
Now the problem is the color.
Blood is not pinkish red like strawberries. But I solved the problem! CHOCOLATE is perfect to make the syrup dark red and it’s a perfect flavor addition to strawberry!
Bloody Pancakes For Halloween Breakfast
- Buttermilk Pancakes:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 oz melted unsalted butter
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups low fat buttermilk
- "Bloody" Chocolate Covered Strawberry Syrup:
- 16 oz container of frozen strawberries in their own juice defrosted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp Chocolate syrup
- Whisk you wet pancake ingredients until combined. Whisk in your dry ingredients and let the batter stand for about 10 minutes. This is a good time to preheat your cooking pan. Cook the pancakes, in your preheated pan, for about a minute or two on each side. Check the pancakes by pressing lightly in the center, if its firm the pancakes are done.
- Mix cornstarch and sugar until combined. In a medium sauce pot, add the strawberries with the juice (still cold) and sprinkle with the sugar mixture. Mix well until all evenly combined.
- Cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, blend the strawberries into puree (or run it through food processor). Strain the mixture through a fine strainer to remove as much seeds as possible.
- Mix in the chocolate syrup slowly, while stirring, until the desired color is reached.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), or follow me through | Facebook| Twitter| Pinterest|
I will be sharing this recipe at the wonderful parties in my party tab + Weekend Potluck, Thirty Handmade Days, and Rattlebridge Farm. Swing by and link up your own projects!
M&M Apple Caramel Cheese Ball
Double Chocolate Rice Krispie Mummies
Jennifer @ My Sweet Sanity says
This is brilliant! totally know some people who are getting this on Thursday.
Fun, simple, and delicious! The perfect Halloween breakfast!!
These look delicious! I love the idea of adding chocolate to the strawberry syrup. Yum!
Cindy Eikenberg says
Lyuba, I LOVE this perfectly creepy (but delicious) breakfast for Halloween! 🙂 Thank you so much for joining us and sharing at Best of the Weekend! Just awesome! Pinning and sharing today! Have a great weekend!
Awww, thank you so much, Cindy!
Lisa@ Cooking with Curls says
Oh wow, those look amazing Lyuba! I would love to start my Halloween with those pancakes. 🙂
Thank you, Lisa 😀
Seriously!! You are amazing! Sharing on my Google+ page today!!
Thanks for linking up to Tickled Pink Times Two.
Make it a pink day!
Awww, you are making me blush, Meegan!
What a great idea! Would you please link up to my Friday Favorites at http://imnotatrophywife.com
Thank you, Laura!
Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats says
This freakin’ rocks!!!! Enough said 🙂
Haha, thank you, Julie!
Jen Nikolaus says
These are so cool! My boys would love them!
Thank you, Jen!!
Megan - The Emotional Baker says
This is so clever. This would make the best Halloween breakfast!
Awww, thank you, Megan!
Those pancakes look so fluffy good! Loving these!
Thank you, Tahny!