Nothing will warm you up better than a big mug of Caramel Spicy Hot Chocolate. This hot cocoa is flavored with caramel and spiced with some cayenne pepper.
We had a BEAUTIFUL weekend here and the week is promising to be just as beautiful. It feels great to have most of the day nice and cool. I love that time when we can finally open the windows and let the fresh, cool air in. I love that first time where you need a blanket at night. Ah, fall weather is just beautiful.
To celebrate the cooler weather, I decided to make the first hot chocolate of the season. I also wanted to experiment a little and give it a twist of spicy chocolate. I’m sure you’ve heard of Mexican chocolate, it’s a spiced chocolate that’s made with cinnamon and sometimes other spices. First time I’ve tried that chocolate in a bar, I wasn’t a big fan of the grainy texture. Second time I’ve tried it was actually in a cake and it was pretty awesome. The cake was also spiced with some chili powder for an extra kick and I thought it added something very special to the flavor.
Since spicy and chocolate worked so well in the cake, I wanted to transfer it into this hot cocoa. It worked very well and especially with the addition of creamy caramel. This hot cocoa will keep you nice and warm while tasting absolutely delicious.
It’s easy to KEEP UP with NEW recipes through my social media channels:
Caramel Spicy Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups of milk
- 2½ Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 3 Tbsp hot caramel topping
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Suggested Toppings:
- Whipped cream
- Hot caramel topping
- Sprinkle of cayenne
- Add milk to a sauce pot and heat it through over medium heat.
- Once milk is hot, add baking chocolate and caramel topping. Stir slowly until melted and incorporated.
- Stir in cocoa powder and sugar. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper, stir and taste to see if there is enough heat for you. Add only add a little bit of cayenne at a time because it's very spicy and everyone handles the heat differently.
- Stir and cook the hot chocolate mixture for a few minutes.
- Divide mixture among two cups and add desired toppings.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Snickerdoodle Hot Cocoa from Lemon Tree Dwelling
Red Velvet Hot Chocolate from Tidy Mom
Cookies and Cream Hot Chocolate from Sprinkle Some Sugar
Toasted Marshmallow Cream Hot Chocolate from How Sweet It Is
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!