Such a delicious and easy finger food that you can serve at any party. Caramelized Onion Cheesy Pinwheels are bursting with flavor from caramelized onions and sharp white cheddar cheese, wrapped in a flaky puff pastry and baked to a golden perfection!
Planning your upcoming New Year’s party? I have just a thing for you to serve to your guests. They won’t believe that these heavenly pinwheels only took you 30 minutes to make and has three main ingredients. Most of the flavor comes from caramelizing the onion and adding sharp white cheddar cheese.
I absolutely love caramelized onions. Everyone who knows me might be surprised at that because I hate onions. I always cook with onion because I like the flavor it brings to food but I pick them out because I just hate biting into an onion (especially if it’s raw). Caramelizing it changes everything. It gives the onion this candy sweet but savory flavor and I prefer to make a small amount that way they are nice and crispy. When I want to get a nice crispy texture, I cook them at high heat but when I am adding them to pasta, steak or burgers, I make them soft and cook them on lower temperature for a much longer time. Cooking them longer also makes them a bit sweeter.
Caramelized Onion Cheesy Pinwheels
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 tbs butter
- 2 cups of sharp white cheddar
- Salt to taste
- Preheat a large stainless steel pan (any pan will be fine but stainless steel will give better results) on medium-high heat.
- Slice the onions thin. Melt the butter in the pan and quickly add the onions. Cook, stirring often, until onions are golden browned (don't burn). Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400. Grease a cookie baking sheet.
- Spread the onions evenly over the dough and top it off with cheese, evenly. Salt to taste (just a little because cheese and onions already have a good amount of flavor).
- Roll up the dough, sealing the edge, and slice it into 1-inch rolls.
- Place the pinwheels on the cookie sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes, until nicely golden.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Delicious Party Food Ideas: