The best hot dogs in the world are the hot dogs that have been wrapped with soft, homemade Dijon pretzel and served with a creamy maple Dijon dipping sauce.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Fan of hot dogs? Fan of soft pretzels? Why yes, yes we are!
Soft pretzels are like gold around my house. I don’t make them often so when I do, my guys are like vultures around them. It’s actually one of the reasons that I don’t make them that often, because it takes just as long for the whole batch to disappear as it takes for me to make them.
We are weak, very weak, when it comes to homemade soft pretzels. As I’m finishing my second one, I always look at my treadmill with tears, knowing just how long I have to spend on it to work it off. While I’m enjoying the pretzel, it seems totally worth it. While I’m on my treadmill for an hour, I curse myself but it’s still worth it.
These Dijon pretzel hot dogs are definitely worth an hour on the treadmill. Pretzels, Dijon mustard, and hot dogs are a perfectly matched taste trio. Every game day will be a winning game day with the addition of these pretzel dogs.
It’s easy to KEEP UP with NEW recipes through my social media channels:
Homemade Dijon Pretzel Wrapped Hot Dogs with Maple Dijon Dipping Sauce
- ¼ oz packet dry active yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for surface)
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tsp Dijon mustard
- 9 hot dogs
- 3 Tbsp baking soda
- Deep wide cooking pan filled with water ⅔ or the way
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- Coarse salt
- Maple Dijon Dipping Sauce:
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- Mix yeast and sugar in a bowl. Add warm water and whisk until sugar dissolves. Let yeast bloom for about 10 minutes.
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl of an electric mixer. Mix chopped, cold butter into flour on low speed until mixture starts to resemble coarse crumbs.
- Slowly pour yeast mixture into flour mixture and add Dijon mustard, while still mixing on low, until just combined. Using your hands, gather dough together. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until no longer sticky, for a couple of minutes. Place in a medium bowl and cover with plastic.
- Let dough rise in a warm, dry place for about an hour.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into a log and divide it into 9 equal pieces.
- Take hot dogs out of the package and dry them off with a paper towel.
- Roll each piece of dough into about ¼ inch thick rope. Wrap pretzel dough around the hot dog, tucking in the ends.
- Place wrapped hot dogs onto the prepared baking sheet and let them rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Bring a large, deep cooking pan of water to a boil and add baking soda, stir well. Boil pretzel hot dogs in batches until puffed, about 30-45 seconds.
- Take out with a slopped spatula and return to the baking sheet.
- Brush with butter and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake until golden brown, 13-15 minutes.
- Dipping Sauce: Mix all ingredients for the dipping sauce in a bowl, until completely incorporated.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Mozzarella Stuffed Soft Pretzels from The Food Charlatan
Pretzel Soup Bowls from Gather For Bread
Ham Swiss and Jalapeno Stuffed Pretzels from Baker By Nature
Bacon Cheddar Pretzel Rolls from A Simple Pantry
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!