This pesto pasta salad is a super easy and delicious dinner option. It features pasta of your choice, fresh basil pesto, zucchini, summer squash, and juicy shrimp.
I get my recipe inspiration from every little aspect of my life. Sometimes, I would be laying in bed, trying to go to sleep and an awesome idea would pop into my head. I’ve started keeping a notepad by my bed so I can write down all the ideas. I also have a desktop full of post-its. Too many ideas swirling in my head!
This is my latest idea that was actually inspired by a great magazine. I get All You Magazine almost every month at Target. It’s a great little magazine that’s like several magazines in one.
What inspired me most about the July issue, is their pasta 101 article. It’s a several-page spread that talks about different pasta types and tips on cooking each pasta. It also has a recipe for each pasta type that they cover. I can’t wait to try their tortellini recipe and rice noodle recipe.
I just got a bowl of fresh basil from my herb garden and I knew that I just had to make a pesto pasta salad. Since it’s summer, vegetables make a perfect addition to pasta and potato salads. Shrimp make an ideal compliment this pasta salad!
Nothing can be better than a pasta salad made with fresh veggies, shrimp and homemade pesto!
Shrimp And Veggie Pesto Pasta
Pesto (makes about 3/4 cup of pesto):
- 2 cups basil leaves packed
- 2 large gloves of garlic
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pine nuts
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil may need to add a little more after blended
- 12 oz Cellentani pasta uncooked, makes about 3 cups cooked
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium summer squash
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil to cook the veggies
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 lb uncooked medium shrimp
- 1 tbsp olive oil to cook the shrimp
- 2 tbsp olive oil to mix into pasta
- salt to taste
- Cook pasta according to directions, drain and set aside.
- Chop and saute the vegetables with some salt, pepper and dill weed. Add the cooked veggies to the pasta.
- Cook the shrimp with minced garlic and a little bit of salt and pepper. Add shrimp to pasta.
- In the medium bowl, mix pasta, shrimp and veggies. Add 3 tbs of pesto, 2 tbs of oil and some salt and pepper. Mix well.
- This pasta salad can be served cold or warm as a pasta bowl.
to make the pesto, do you just blend all of those ingredients together?
Yes, just combine the ingredients for pesto in a blender and pulse until all combined and fine.
Here are a couple of links for you: https://www.willcookforsmiles.com/2011/08/pesto.html
I hope you enjoy it!
Thank you 🙂
This is exactly what I’ve been looking for–a shrimp pasta salad with everything. I plan on using some of the rotini (corkscrew) noodles to hold more of the dressing. I am not all that fond of macaroni.
Trish - Mom On Timeout says
I have been an All You subscriber for YEARS! i just love it! This pasta salad looks so good Lyuba! Pinned!
Thanks so much, Trish!
Cindy Eikenberg says
Lyuba, this salad looks and sound incredible – I LOVE shrimp! 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing at Best of the Weekend! Pinning to our party board! We love having you join us and hope to see you this Friday – have a fabulous week!
Oh, thank you, Cindy!