Amazing comfort soup for any chilly night. Roasted Bell Pepper Soup made with addition of three cheese tortellini and great flavors of freshly roasted bell peppers and garlic.
Delicious and comforting soup that holds some of the best flavors, roasted bell pepper and roasted garlic. Someone should make a line of air fresheners with the best scents from the kitchen. There are plenty of air fresheners and candles with flavors of various baked goods like cookies, cupcakes, chocolate and even creme brulee. Those are all delightful but I wonder why there are no savory flavor or ingredients.
Think of the smell that fills your kitchen as red peppers or garlic are roasting. How about the smell when you saute onions (love that one)? Or that intoxicating smell on your hands after you made fresh pesto, you know, the combination of fresh basil and garlic. I can go on all day coming up with the best scents of the kitchen but that is just making me hungry. Needless to say, my kitchen, and the whole apartment, smelled amazing while this soup was cooking.
This soup is flavorful, creamy and tastes as good as it smells. What makes this soup a great comfort meal is tortellini. Cheesy tortellini is so delicious cooked in this smooth roasted bell pepper soup. While cooking, it soaks up the wonderful soup flavors and makes it irresistible to anyone.
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion
- 1 large carrot
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- ½ tsp fresh thyme
- ½ tsp cumin
- Fresh cracked pepper
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (more for topping)
- 12 oz three cheese tortellini
- Preheat oven to 400.
- On a baking sheet lined with foil, place bell peppers on their side. Cut off just the tips from garlic cloves (leave skin on) and wrap them in aluminum foil, all together. Place wrapped garlic cloves on the baking sheet as well.
- Bake peppers and garlic for 20 minutes and then flip peppers on the other side for even roasting.
- Cook for another 10 minutes and take out garlic but let peppers roast for additional 10-15 minutes after garlic is taken out.
- Dice onion and carrot and set aside. Peel and chop roasted bell peppers, set aside. (Try to peel and cut them over a bowl to save the pepper juice. You will want to add pepper juice to the soup, it will add extra flavor.) Take skin off roasted garlic, set aside.
- In a large pot, over medium heat, heat up oil.
- Add diced onion and carrot to the pot and saute for a few minutes.
- Add chopped roasted peppers and roasted garlic. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Lower heat back to medium.
- Add thyme, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook, covered, for about 15 minutes.
- Blend soup well, using an immersion blender, until all smooth. (If you don't have an immersion blender, transfer soup into regular blender and blend well. Bring back to the pot.)
- Add heavy cream and grated Parmesan cheese and stir until all incorporated.
- Add tortellini and make sure it's completely covered in soup. Cover pot with a lid and cook for 10-12 minutes, until tortellini is done.
- Top off with more Parmesan cheese when serving.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Twenty Minute Tortellini Bake from This Gal Cooks
Broccoli Alfredo Tortellini from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice
Baked Tortellini Casserole from No. 2 Pencil
Italian Sausage and Tortellini Casserole from Yellow Bliss Road
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Recipes From Me: