Divine variation of a classic broccoli cheese soup. This comforting, homemade soup is made with two flavorful cheeses, sharp white cheddar cheese and Asiago cheese.
Make sure to sign up for my email so you don’t miss new recipes.
Ahhh…this is just what the doctor ordered, a big bowl of delicious broccoli cheese soup that’s bursting with flavor from Asiago cheese, sharp white cheddar cheese, and homemade cheesy croutons. I’ve been craving this soup for so long. Too long. I had a very unfortunate experience with a Asiago Broccoli Cheese Soup and I could not rest until I tasted exactly what I expected.
I was having lunch with my family at a restaurant that we all like very much and they had this new item on their menu, Asiago Broccoli Cheese Soup, as you may have guessed. It sounded amazing and all I wanted was a big bowl of it for lunch. Finally we got our food, I take a bite and …nothing! It literally tasted like a big, fat nothing. It seemed like it was broth, thickened with some flour, added broccoli and a faint touch or flavorless cheese. I was so disappointed, I almost cried. (I did say “almost.” Last time I cried over food, I was pregnant.) I took two bites of this “nothing” soup and I couldn’t eat it. All I could think of is making it at home, just the way I imagined it would taste like.
I mean common, if you are going to put a flavorful cheese like Asiago into a dish, it should taste that way. I imagined this soup to be bursting with flavorful cheese and that’s exactly the way it came out when I made it at home. Nothing but flavor here, baby! I also paired it with simple, cheesy croutons that can be made while soup is cooking. This whole dish shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes and you will definitely enjoy the results!
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil for cooking
- 1 small Vidalia onion
- 1 large carrot
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 oz sharp white cheddar cheese (block not shredded)
- 4 oz Asiago cheese (+ little more for each serving bowl) (block not shredded)
- 3 garlic cloves
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- Italian bread (or French baguette)
- Olive oil
- Asiago cheese
- Steam broccoli until soft. Mince it and set aside. (You can steam it in a microwave, in a steamer bag.)
- In a medium pot, heat up oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and shredded carrot. Saute until onion is transparent.
- Sprinkle flour and mix until veggies are coated with flour.
- Slowly pour in vegetable broth while constantly stirring. Add heavy cream and stir.
- Let soup heat through (still on medium heat.) Once it starts to boil, start adding cheeses.
- Grate cheddar and Asiago cheeses into the pot. Stir slowly until cheeses are all melted. (I recommend using block cheese and grate it in yourself because it will melt much better. Pre-shredded cheese is coated in cornstarch while packaged.)
- Add pressed garlic, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in broccoli. Lower the heat to medium low, cover and cook for about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Croutons: (I didn't put measurements for a reason, because you can make as few or an many as you want and it just requires a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of salt and cheese.) Preheat oven to 325. Cut bread into ½ inch cubes and place them in a mixing bowl. Drizzle some olive oil. add some salt and grated Asiago cheese. Mix well until all bread cubes are evenly coated. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, until crunchy and golden.
- Top each bowl of soup with some grated Asiago cheese and croutons.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Ham and Cheese Soup by Recipes That Crock
Slow Cooker Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese Soup from Well Plated
Buffalo Chicken Beer Cheese Soup from Cooking and Beer
White Cheddar Beer Cheese Soup from Lemon Tree Dwelling
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or any other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Delicious Recipes From Me: