Different take on waffles that will make you wonder why you haven’t been eating them every morning. Savory waffles made with smoked cheddar cheese and scallions.
Waffles are so much fun. I love making waffles but it is definitely a weekend breakfast. Experimenting with waffles can be very interesting. I’ve tried various fruity waffles and chocolate waffles but I haven’t tried savory waffles. Even my hubby was a little thrown off by waffles not being sweet. He got over it pretty quickly once he tried it. Its different, but so good!
Smoked Cheese and Green Onion Waffles
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup Smoked Sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- Rub the waffle maker with lightly-oiled paper towel and preheat your waffle maker.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs vigorously for a few seconds.
- Whisk in the melted butter, milk and salt.
- Add the flour and baking powder and stir until combined.
- Stir in the cheese and green onion. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Bake according to your waffle maker’s specifications.
1/2 cup milk + 2 tbs milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup Smoked Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Rub the waffle maker with lightly-oiled paper towel and preheat your waffle maker.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs vigorously for a few seconds.
3. Whisk in the melted butter, milk and salt.
4. Add the flour and baking powder and stir until combined.
5. Stir in the cheese and green onion. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
6. Bake according to your waffle maker’s specifications.
Hi! I look forward to trying this, approximately how many waffles does the recipe make? Thanks!
Hey Carlee! It’s always hard to estimate how many waffles because people use different shape and size waffle makers. In my round waffle maker, it’s about 4 large waffles.
Barbara Alfeo says
I absolutely love your recipe! I am writing vegetarian recipe round ups on my blog in 2018 (to encourage people to try meatless monday- everyone has to start somewhere) and would love to feature you. You can check out my blog (for beginner environmentalists) at sunshineguerrilla.com. Is it alright if I share this link to your recipe?
Hello Barbara! You can definitely include this in your round-up just please don’t share the actual recipe. A link back and a photo is totally fine 🙂
This is wonderful. Thanks for linking to Saturday Dishes.
This sounds so good — pinned! Thanks for linking on Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy! Hope to see you again soon – the links are open!
Natasha Mairs says
Featuring this today on Serenity Saturday party!!
CJ @ Morsels of Life says
These look like a good savory waffle! You’ve already got the green, just use some Irish cheddar, and they’d be perfect for St. Paddy’s. 🙂
Six Sisters says
Now that is a creative waffle! Thanks for linking up to our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” We would love to have you back!! -The Sisters
These look yummy,I need a waffle maker 🙂 Thanks for linking up to Creative Mondays 🙂
Carrie @ My Favorite Finds says
Thank you for linking to Must Try Monday. Have you used waffles for sandwiches? These seem to be a good combination for doing so.