Simple, sweet and salty side dish that’s perfect for any dinner gathering. These roasted sweet potatoes are baked with maple syrup and bacon grease and then mixed with crispy bacon.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Moms are the best! (Especially when they come to help around the house while you’re busy with the new baby.)
There are many times in a girl’s adult life when she still needs her mommy and right after having a baby is definitely one of those times. When a new baby joins the family, many things get forgotten and put aside (for a long, long time), like cleaning. For me, the first thing I’ve let go was the constant, daily cleaning. Not having time to clean every day was hard at first, but as sleep deprivation set in more and more, it was easier to let it go.
Luckily, my mommy came to the rescue yet again. When I was a new mom and busy with my little man, she came over every weekend to bring me food and clean. This time, even though I am a little more experienced at being a mom, she still comes over on some weekend to help me clean and still insists of bringing me food.
I may have a pretty well stocked freezer with prepared food (and extra meatballs), but my mom still tries to bring me food. Last time she came over, she brought a HUGE sack of sweet potatoes. Since my husband and my little man love sweet potatoes, I guess she thought we could use extra.
The only time I ever got that much sweet potatoes was in preparation for Thanksgiving. So, since I had that much sweet potatoes to use, I made a couple of Thanksgiving recipes to try out. First, I made these simple maple bacon roasted sweet potates. Next, I made a delicious sweet potato pie that I will share with you later. For now, I hope you will enjoy these sweet potatoes as much as we did!
Very simple side dish of roasted sweet potatoes but the flavor is fantastic. This dish is sweet and salty with a little kick from the fresh cracked peppercorns. The sweetness from potatoes combined with salty bacon and zesty peppercorns is a party in your mouth. Best part is this side dish will go with just about any other side dish and protein for the holiday dinner.
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes
- 8-10 slices of bacon, raw
- Bacon grease from cooking bacon
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black peppercorns
- Preheat the oven to 425F degrees and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Lay bacon slices side by side in one layer.
- Bake for 13-20 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of bacon, until fully cooked.
- Take out bacon slices onto a paper towel. SAVE the bacon grease.
- Keep the oven temperature at 425F.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut them into ½ inch cubes. Place cut potatoes into a large mixing bowl.
- Add maple syrup, bacon grease that you saved, salt, and fresh cracked black peppercorns.
- Mix potatoes very well and spread it onto the same baking sheet where you just made bacon. (You can choose to use a separate baking sheet.)
- Bake for 35-45 minutes (depending on how thick you cut the potatoes).
- Take out of the oven and place potatoes into a serving bowl.
- Dice cooked bacon and mix it in with roasted sweet potatoes.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
Some More Recipes From Me: