This Grasshopper Cocktail is a minty, chocolatey indulgence that is sure to make you smile. This vibrant green drink isn’t just delicious and picturesque – it’s also incredibly easy to make! Skip dessert tonight, and instead, treat yourself to this classic sweet cocktail made with Crème de Menthe, Crème de Cocoa, vodka, and ice cream.
If you’ve never had a grasshopper cocktail, you’re in for quite the treat! And if you’re already a fan of this minty green drink, this simple recipe will make you love it even more.
This after dinner drink has been around since 1918, when a man named Philibert Guichet invented it for a cocktail competition. It obviously became an immediate hit, and a New Orleans favorite! Since then, it’s been enjoyed by people around the world as one of the best dessert cocktails to have ever existed.
Every grasshopper is a little bit different, though, and this one is especially delicious. Why? This recipe calls for vanilla ice cream and whipped cream, which make this cocktail irresistibly sweet and creamy.
Oh – and you’ll love the shaved chocolate rim that makes each sip even better than the last!
Ingredients You Need:
- Vanilla Ice Cream – Of all the vanilla ice creams to choose from at the grocery store, reach for one that’s a good quality. If the ice cream is cheap, it might lack the necessary vanilla sweetness and creamy texture that makes this drink so decadent. (Guess what, you can use Lactose Free ice cream too!!)
- Crème de Menthe – This is the key ingredient when making any grasshopper. Crème de menthe is a minty, sweet liqueur that can usually be found at any local liquor store. It comes both clear, or green colored – choose the green bottle to give the grasshopper its vibrant color!
- Crème de Cocoa – When making dessert cocktails, crème de cocoa is one of the most used liqueurs. It’s sweet and chocolate flavored, which is perfectly complimentary to the minty crème de menthe.
- Vanilla or whipped cream vodka – this will add a nice little boost to the cocktail but still be smooth. If you don’t have flavored vodka, feel free to use regular one.
- Whipped Cream – A small dollop of good quality whipped cream really takes the texture of this drink to a new creamy level, all while adding more sweetness.
- Ice – Crushed ice gives this cocktail the texture of a milkshake, which makes it perfect for dessert.
What Alcohol Is In It?
To discover the alcohol content in your mixed drinks, always check the ABV (alcohol by volume) content of the bottles you’re pouring from. Every brand is a little different, so make sure to always look for the ABV label before buying!
A little warning – grasshopper cocktails are notoriously smooth drinks. They’re creamy, sweet, and very reminiscent of mint chocolate desserts. They’re not noticeably strong drinks, so be cautious of how many grasshoppers you enjoy!
Can I Make It Non-Alcoholic?
Absolutely! When parents are enjoying this dessert cocktails, kids can enjoy a non-alcoholic version as well. I always make some of these “milkshakes” for the kids.
Use the same vanilla ice cream and in addition to ice cream, add about 1/2 cups of milk, 1 cup of ice, 2-3 tablespoons of crème de menthe syrup (non-alcoholic and can be found in coffee syrups isle and mixers isle of the grocery store), and either a couple of tablespoons of chocolate syrup or a couple of ounces of a chocolate bar. Blend it all and serve.
The steps to whipping up a grasshopper cocktail are smooth and simple – just like the drink itself. If you’re a novice at making cocktails, you’ll really love how easy it is to make this classic drink.
Before you begin making the drink itself, garnish your glasses with shaved chocolate. To decorate the glasses, simply dip the rim of the glass into soft ice cream or chocolate syrup, then into the finely grated chocolate.
Start by adding the vanilla ice cream to a blender.
Next, toss in the crushed ice and the vibrant crème de menthe.
Add the delicious creme de cocoa to the blender.
Pour vodka into the mixture.
Blend the creamy green mixture until it’s completely smooth. You want to make sure there are absolutely no chunks of ice or ice cream cream left.
Finally, divide the beverage between two glasses and top with your choice of garnishes. Enjoy!
Variations to Try:
- There are three classic garnishes I love using – whipped cream, mint sprigs, and shaved chocolate. However, you can have a little fun by adding a thin mint or peppermint patty to the top of your dessert cocktail!
- You can make these drinks kid-friendly by simply removing the alcohol in them. (See more on this above.) Once removed, this drink easily transforms from a grasshopper cocktail to a grasshopper milkshake.
- If the color is not as vibrant as you’d like it to be, you can add a few drops of green food coloring to the mixture.
- If you’re a massive mint lover, consider adding a few drops of mint extract to the cocktail mixture. Just be careful as to how many you drop in – a little goes a long way with mint extract.
More Sweet Cocktails to Try:
Coquito – a traditional Puerto Rican holiday drink that is smooth, thick, and creamy
Bahama Mama – a sweet tropical cocktail that features coconut rum, orange juice, pineapple juice, touch of grenadine, and dark rum.
Red Wine Hot Chocolate – a simple hot dessert cocktail that combines red wine and homemade hot chocolate.
Watermelon Frozen Margaritas – a frozen, sweet margarita that’s rich with watermelon flavor.
Caramel Cake Martini – made with cake vodka, caramel vodka, and caramel almond and cashew milk, this drink is the perfect dessert cocktail.
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream (each scoop is approximately 1/2 cup)
- 4 oz Crème de menthe
- 3 oz Creme de cocoa
- 1 oz whipped cream or vanilla vodka
- 1 cup crushed ice
- whipped cream
- mint sprigs
- shaved chocolate
- If you want to decorate the glasses with grated chocolate, do it before making and adding the cocktail to the glass. To decorate the glass: dip the rim of the glass into soft ice cream, chocolate syrup, or melted chocolate and then into the grated chocolate. (To make grated chocolate, you can use a fine cheese grater to grate a chocolate bar.)
- Combine ice cream, ice, Crème de menthe, Crème de cocoa, and vodka in a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Divide the mixture between two glasses and garnish with some whipped cream and grated chocolate.