This is one of my all time favorite comfort soups! It’s a traditional Russian Borsch (Borscht to some), it’s made with beef, lots of veggies and beets. Delicious!
- 1½ lb of stew beef, chopped
- 6-8 cups of water
- bay leaf
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 can of sliced beets (I know, I got a little lazy to use canned beets)
- 1 medium onion
- ½ of medium cabbage
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 tbs tomato sauce
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbs white vinegar (divided in two)
- 1 tbs sugar + 1 tsp sugar
- 2 medium bay leaves
- salt, pepper
- Stock:*In a large pot, bring water to boil and add the beef, bay leaf and coriander. Lower the temperature to medium-low. Cover, but leave a crack for steam to escape, and cook for about 2 hours.
- Chop the onion, ½ can of beets, carrots and tomatoes.
- Add the above vegetables, mushrooms, 1 tbs vinegar, 1 tbs sugar and about a cup of stock to a large pot, stir well, cover and cook on medium heat for about 10-12 minutes.
- Slice the cabbage thin and add it to the vegetable. Stir well, cover and cook until the cabbage is well wilted. (about 20 minutes)
- Add the prepared beef stock, beef, salt, pepper, bay leaves, tomato sauce. Mix well and taste to see if you need to add a little more vinegar or spices. Cook until the vegetables are fully cooked.
- When the soup is almost done, in a separate small sauce pan, combine shredded remaining ½ can of beets, 1 tbs of vinegar and a teaspoon of sugar, mix well. Bring to boil and add to the soup.
* I am linking this recipe to ALL the PARTIES in my party tab. Why don’t you visit the wonderful hosts and link some of your own projects!?